Necking up cases

Tikka

I'm about to start prepping some cases for my (soon to be arriving) rebarelled stalking rifle, which will now be .260Rem.

As I've only used "factory" standard brass before, this is new ground to me.

I've bought a box of .243Win Lapua brass and need to re-size them.

Would you guys recommend neck reaming as well as neck turning after running them through the dies?

Or should I be able to get away with just neck turning?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of when necking up from 6mm to 6.5mm?

As always, all advice is appreciated.

If you havent already, get a set of K&M expanderiron mandrels in 6mm and 6.5mm plus the neck turner.

Use good quality sizing die lube and open cases necks to 6mm with the 6mm "iron" then do the same with the 6.5mm "iron"

Yup your working the brass twice, but the step up will cause less stress than a jump from an undersize 6mm to 6.5mm and doing this in one hit may split cases.

I persoanlly would then do a slight neck clean up for 270 degrees of the case (unless of course your chamber is a fitted neck then it has to be cut to the right diameter)

Dont forget to cut slightly into the base of the neck / shoulder union - this prevents a dohnut forming within the neck at the base of it.

You should be GTG then - resize with your size dies and load.

i have sized .243 win up to 7mm08 in the past. I just lubed them well and ran them through the full length die. i didn't turn or ream. i did trim and champher. i found them to be fine, none have split despite being a full mm bigger.

swampy

ps, that .260 looks like a great calibre, like the 7mm08

Chris if you think the price of Nosler brass is bad for the 260, you should see the current price of 338 Lapua - £260 / 100 retail :unsure::blink::rolleyes:

Fortunately I have didn't pay that, but it still smarted a bit :blush:

Bloody hell!!! and I nearly cried when I had to pay £75 / 100 for 6.5x47 Lapua.

I think I'll stick to the smaller calibers for a while.....

and they have gone up again -,i have just sent for 2 x boxes of 6.5x47 lapua and they where more than that.

i have just brought some Norma 270 wsm brass and that was a fortune, i think it was £119 a 100 :rolleyes:

ATB

Colin :unsure:

Col

My supplier (I guess the same as yours) has added £40 to the trade price of 338 brass in the last month (due to exchange rate changes)

.. I nearly cried when I had to pay £75 / 100 for 6.5x47 Lapua.

And I thought we were being ripped off here (in New Zealand) when I paid the equivalent of 64.9 quid / 100

Didn't bother checking the US price- usually depressing to see how cheap it is.

The pain has recently lessened now that USPS will only ship airmail, so it's become less attractive to get my mate to send stuff out.

And I thought we were being ripped off here (in New Zealand) when I paid the equivalent of 64.9 quid / 100

Didn't bother checking the US price- usually depressing to see how cheap it is.

The pain has recently lessened now that USPS will only ship airmail, so it's become less attractive to get my mate to send stuff out.

mine worked out at £82 a box for the 6.5x47 i wish i had not sold all my brass to others when they could not get some. :rolleyes:

Aye, and Hannams are virtually out of ALL lapua brass. Alan does the ordering, and he,s on holiday while the end of the month....so there,s gonna be a shortage. Viking have stocks, and like hannams, all lapua gear has just gone up again...with a bump.

Archived