Lathes,,3 Phase to Single Phase

onehole

My son is a pipe-fitter who races Enduro so he is the one with the muscles and yes they are quite a lump to drag around. It is a good looking lathe and my next recommendation would be to clean it thoroughly as whilst you are cleaning it you are inspecting it plus a clean machine is always good. Give all of the moving surfaces a light wipe of oil and check the Gibbs for movement along the full length of the bed. You need to swing the compound slide around a bit to the front so you can back right into the tail stock. I still have mine set at 29,5 degrees to this day (Old school)

Enjoy, it is always good to see someone owning a lathe.

I have loads of offcuts of round 6082T6 and stainless in the scrap bin, PM your address or email me and I will be happy to post you a bag full to get you going.

I would agree with Davy regarding giving the machine a good clean and lube, make sure the lead screw is clean and free from any debris as it has no covers, remove the gibbs, blow out any debris and refit with lube and adjust.

From there you need to first turn parallel from your 3 jaw and then between centers to see where exactly your at and where you need to adjust.

Is the headstock dowelled to the bed or set on a v-way or something? if not then your first job would be to set the headstock to turn parallel to the bed then the tailstock needs to be alignment with the spindle so your not turning tapers between centers.

As with most machines of this nature they are useless unless they are correctly adjusted to produce work that is acceptably accurate. Testing and adjusting isn't rocket science but there are better ways than others and without knowing the limits of your machines accuracy your in the dark quite a bit. Im sure there will be plenty of help here, if you get stuck just shout up. :)

Nice looking lathe. Yes first job clean and oil. I have bought quite a few Myford bits for my lathe all though its not a Myford its a similiar size. I bought a quick change tool post and lots of tool holders they were not cheap. I have recently got hold of a ML10 that has only been used for screw cutting. Im looking forward to having a play with it once I get it installed. Once you get started and things start turning out as you actually planned them its addictive. As the guy said I have easily spent more money on tooling etc than the original cost of the lathe. It cost me £380 to fit an inverter a new motor and speed control unit to replace the Chinese electrics..

Thank you,,,,,,yep lots to do,,,I,ve been reading up for weeks now,,,so getting familiar with bits and pieces and procedures etc,,waiting on electrician and this may be a while but never mind plenty of cleaning to do.Stunned by the price of tools and equipment that came with it,,,,it has a taper turning attachment for example ,,,huge cost to have to buy!!!,,Seems I have you guys to ask for help and advice ,,,,don't really want to join another forum etc,,,,,,Brill!!!!,,,,,,O

Davy I will PM you shortly,,,thank you. ,

Archived