Remington Pattern triggers?

I'm having a rifle built based round a Barnard S action. These require a Rem pattern trigger.

I've had a Rifle Basix ERV-3 suggested to me by several happy users. These are a 3-lever design adjustable from 4oz- 1.25lb. As it's going to be used for varminting and possibly F-Class use, I don't want a benchrest trigger so it seems no point going to a Jewel.

What experiences have you guys had in this area?

Chris-NZ

If you can get them over there, Shilen make an excellent lower cost alternative to Jewel and its better quality (IMHO) to the Rifle Basix.

The Barnard S will accept any Rem 700 trigger - a shame Barnard dont make one themselves for it at the trigger they do that fits the P action is superb.

If you can get them over there, Shilen make an excellent lower cost alternative to Jewel and its better quality (IMHO) to the Rifle Basix.

What model (if relevant) Ronin?

Adjustment range? Single stage I take it?

Chris

What model (if relevant) Ronin?

Adjustment range? Single stage I take it?

Chris

taken from http://www.shilen.com/productsTriggers.html

Hunters and competition shooters have precisely the same needs when it comes to triggers. Both need an extremely reliable trigger that releases crisply, without "creep" and inconsistency in pull pressure. Both require predictable, positive adjustments for attaining trigger performance tailored to a specific use.

All this is built into every Shilen trigger. These gems of materials and machining are steel bodied. All moving parts are heat-treated and sear surfaces are ground and polished. Even the allen head adjustment screws are heat treated!

Both triggers fit Remington Model 700 and 40X actions, as well as rear-grip XP-100 silhouette pistols.

Shilen Standard Trigger

This specialized hunting trigger is three-way adjustable for weight of pull, sear engagement, and overtravel. Pull weight is adjustable from 1 1/2 to 3 pounds.

Shilen Competition Trigger

Featuring a crisp release ranging from 2 to 6 ounces, this match trigger is easily set for pull weight, sear engagement, and overtravel. It cannot be adjusted heavier than 6 ounces.

ATB

Colin :D

Chris

I think Colin has covered the bases with the sut and paste.

They are a single stage unit and drop straight in (although you have to swap over the safety lever, ball detent and sring clip)

I have a couple on my own Remingtons, I like them.

Have to say I prefer a two stage trigger - the CG unit that Jackson Rifles sells in the UK are very good, but require opeing up the inlet to fit.

Not sure if your import law would allow them to be sent to you over there, but they are similar in price to Jewel with same ajustment range.

Ronin said:

Have to say I prefer a two stage trigger - the CG unit that Jackson Rifles sells in the UK are very good, but require opeing up the inlet to fit.

Not sure if your import law would allow them to be sent to you over there, but they are similar in price to Jewel with same ajustment range.

----------------

I'm used to a two-stage on my NRA rifle (RPA CG-2000) but prefer single stage on varmint rifles. Don't ask me why.. <_<

My gunsmith mates actually helped develop the CG trigger-

check

http://home.xtra.co.nz/hosts/hhe/frameenglish.htm

under Shooting. They no longer make all this stuff but still do any gunsmithing needed :D

One of the batch of their Millennium rifles supplied for the Malaysian Team won the Queens at Bisley recently with a few others in the top ten.

Sounds like the Shilen is the way to go. I was thinking of slightly lighter than 1.5lb but if it's crisp enough, that'd do.

Chris

My buddy Vince has just built a tube gun with a barnard action inside it. The only trigger that would fit it, and work, was a timney.Unusual, because they are supposed to work with any remmy trigger.......some dont, be careful.

this had nothing to do with fact its a tube gun...the top sear on all but the timney didn,t work, and its because of the different shaped cocking lug on the barnard bolt.

My buddy Vince has just built a tube gun with a barnard action inside it. The only trigger that would fit it, and work, was a timney.Unusual, because they are supposed to work with any remmy trigger.......some dont, be careful.... its because of the different shaped cocking lug on the barnard bolt.

Hmm, thanks for that, I'll check it out with Barnard Baldie

Chris

Further info:

Reply for Barnard:

You have run across the general (minor) problem with replacement triggers. There is variation of a few thou between the various "Remington" style triggers, which is why we make a couple of hanger variations and recognise that sometimes a gunsmith has to tinker to set the trigger in just the right relationship to the cocking piece.

We have fitted Shilen; Jewell; Timney (standard and tactical) triggers to the S and SM actions OK and have adopted the Timney as our normal.

-------

Comment from my gunsmith:

It will be the same with the Rifle Basix until it is modified. The problem is the trigger position, or if you like the bolt sear is some .030" too far forward for exact Remington triggers. Jewell and Shilen would be OK.

:D There you go buddy. Not everything is a simple as it looks.

I have an RPA that i fitted with a jewell, and the supposedly correct jewell sear for an RPA...it wouldn,t work correctly. The gun would fire, but it was light striking sufficiently to non detonate the primer. It was just dragging on the bolt cocking piece...only slightly...but enough.

The RB triggers are good triggers, if you are careful with them. I always tell people to buy the model, with the pull weight they require, in the mid range of the advertised pull weight.

I,ve fitted quite a few that simply weren,t safe when adjusted to the minimum weight, but were totally safe mid-range. The ERV in my opinion is the best of the lot.

Archived