Extracting Sika Deer

Orka Akinse

Gents

I reckon someone out there must have a better way of doing it than I have? Nearly killed myself at the weekend and it was only a pricket, but I had to drag it across fields [some rough ploughed] using 8mm rope. Shoulder swelling has just eased enough to be comfortable.

Any tips? :D

Been there myself with fallow deer and reds , sometimes shooting them is the easy bit, I have used similar thing to a climbing harness with a rope attached to the back then to the deer, so you using your both shoulders back and legs together , it is better but it will see how fit you are, always remember to pull the head first as this is the way the hair runs on the coat of the animal , I had a guy pulling a beast out one day by the back feet ,it nearly killed him ,it was like it had the brakes on, :D

I made myself a harness out of a pair of old car seat belts. My technique is to put my knife thought the lower jaw of the deer then put a D-link though this hole the rope goes though the D-link and the other end to the harness, make sure the rope is not too short or else the deer will keep banging on to the back of your legs, you also need a swivel on one end of the rope or it will twist up.

One very important thing to remember is that if you come to a down hill part, you have to put the harness round only one shoulder because if the deer starts to “run away” it will take you with it, so you need to be able to get out of the harness very quick. :D

I have recovered 200lb red stags with this method. I find it very good for building up you quads. :D

I will get some photo if that helps.

Best rgds

B-b

you can buy a deer drag harness now for around 10 to 15 stg....or failing that do as my friend did and make one out of old seat belts from cars..............

don't use the motorbike seat belts as there too thin.............. :D

i'll get my coat too................................ :D

It was dark and there was two young stags, I shot the one ane the other pronked 10 feet to my right and stood broadside, bolt racked, cross hairs on just about to squeeeeeze an I thought about draggin them both and having to go back for the other one.

So glad I squeeeezed the safety on :D:D and not the trigger.

Photo's would be a help cheers B-b

By time I'd finished I was suckin air thro my arse as well and I know its only goin to get worse come winter.

Apart from harnesses what else can or do you use?

I shoot a few Reds in my area, assisting a chap on his ground.

We use a drag bag and harness's (Deer UK) used to sell the one we use - made from very heavy duty polypropelene with ringlets to zip the beast up in a cocoon fashion.

Once the animal is in, attach harness to head / antlers and although not light work, its a damn site easier than carrying - especially with a 18 stone stag!

If we can get the animal to a place where we can drive (4wd) into, the beast gets loaded into the disco or vitara (I kid you not - three large hinds do fit into these vehicles and none were in the front seats :D ) and away to the chiller.

Argos are great, but on steep ground like the areas I assist - next to useless, other alternative is pony, but that may not suit your ground as it needs somewhere to live with winter feed, vets bills, etc etc etc.....

Easiest option is more hand make light work - well a bit lighter :D

Guest northernchris

Depends what your ground is like mate,we always used an Argo or a quad on the open hill,but as andy already said once you get into rocky ground the argo is more trouble than is worth,when it get that bad the good old Garon holds its own.If the worst comes to the worst crack out some mutton cloth and get dragging :D

If you joint front legs at the flat joints, but dont cut all the way through, then cut towards the hoof about half way leaving the lower leg to toggle on the sinue, then cut between the hamstring and bone on the hind legs as you would a rabbit, then pass the front feet through the hamstrings and your deer becomes a rucksack. A bit messy on your back ,but more hygienic than dragging acoss a plough????. I learned this method in NZ and carried some fairly big deer out of the bush,DONT try this if you got a doggy ticker as its hard work.I use the same method for carrying roe,but just one leg and carry it over my shoulder.

Hope this helps

NELL

ps best to remove heads

Cheers Fella's there are a few of us and last year we spent more time "picking up" than stalking. I must admit to thinkin seriously about a quad, Argo would work too. Its steep but it aint rocky. Oh and its very wet in the bottom of the valley's but once you on a track :lol: made by big steel things :lol: it gets easier.

I kid you not Ronin, I got nine Sika (hinds & stags) in the back of my Vit, took a whole day to clean it, missus went ballistic and didn't speak to me for days. Oh boy was I glad a tick didn't crawl on her next time we were out in the family motor :D

As we all agree, it aint the killin [thats the easy bit] its the getting to larder that is hard...... real hard :o

Archived