25.06 sako 75 coming home soon as my new stalking rifle

going to put a nightforce on it but not sure which one i like the rp1 reticle

but do i go for the 5.5-22x56 or the 8-32x56 do i need all that power

i do like shooting long range but cant see myself shooting bench rest out to 1000 yards

thanks for any help

all the best bruxie

A lower bottom end... ooh er missus... will be more versatile than a higher top end.

I'd go for the 5.5-22.

Lower mag better in woodland and dark. Better field of view etc.

The 5.5-22 is the better of the 2, I use this on my varminting rifle and has more than enough mag to shoot small varmints to 1000yds.

The 8-32 will have too much of a restricted view and have poorer low light performance.

Infact on my stalking rifle I use the 3.5-15 model which has superb light gathering properties and more than ample mag for shooting pests at extended range.

Cheers

Dave

i now have the nxs 8-32x56 but on having that type of mag i get to choose if i want to go higher or lower mag on the said target ..i think you will regret it if you get the lower end one ...cracking scope i must add i love mine it makes shooting so much easier ..

many thanks for your input boys

thats what i love about this forum honest answers from people who know what they talking about

5.5x22x56 with rp1 reticle orderd today should be hear on friday so a bit of luck some load development over the weekend will let yous know how i get on with the scope and the sako 75 25-06

thanks again bruxie

I HAVE A 22MAG AND A 32MAG :D ALL ON THE SAME SCOPE <_< JUST HOPE YOU DONT GO IN TO THE REALLY LONG RANGE SHOOTING IN TIME B)

Guest varmartin

Long range shooting requires a lot of internal scope adjustment.....

The NXS series scopes have loads........

NXS 5.5-22x50/56 has 100 MOA Elevation adjustment.

NXS 8-32x56 has 65 MOA Elevation adjustment.

The 5.5-22 will not disappoint even out past 1000 yards.

i was out yesterday looking to shoot some crows out about 400yrds i had my scope on 10 x then on 16x then on 20x and you are right in what your saying i could see them very clear but smallish ,but then i did it on 32x mag the crows seemed to be very large and still clear enough for me to see them with ease and seemed to be only like 60yrds away but they were a good 400yrds out and i could put the dot on there head ..when out foxing its turned down to 12x to 14x mag then up as i need it ..i just like to see what im trying to hit :D every one to there own and happy hunting <_<

can i just jump in here about shooting crows i shot one yesterday in a stiff left to right breeze at 205 paces with a 17 hmr

ill come clean a little bit about this . there were two crows side by side , i aimed at the one on the left allowed for windage and bullet drop and smacked the one on the right . lol

i had somebody with me he said "what a good shot " i just kept quiet lol

mark

can i just jump in here about shooting crows i shot one yesterday in a stiff left to right breeze at 205 paces with a 17 hmr

ill come clean a little bit about this . there were two crows side by side , i aimed at the one on the left allowed for windage and bullet drop and smacked the one on the right . lol

i had somebody with me he said "what a good shot " i just kept quiet lol

mark

As you do !! he'll think your his hero now :D

Good going with the HMR though.

Ads

only had the one real shot at 400 yrds :lol: and missed :D need to get a pda with exbal on it i think well thats my next thing im having ..did get one crow though just before leaving the farm it was only a mear 110yrds so nothing to write home about ,still a well place shot though :lol:

Hi guys ,

Forget the NXS models above 22x , as they are NOT real tactical NXS models , these are more to make the BR guys feel good about ordering a so called NXS in there required power range , look at the reduced elevation etc in the 32x models .

Later Chris

Chris

just because there is 35 MOA of ajustment less on the 32x NXS doesnt make any difference in the real world - even the humble 308 running a 175g matchking only needs 40MOA to get to 1000yds.

So a 32 or 42 NXS would easily get you there on a 0 MOA mounting rail - they have 65MOA ajustment.

Most people use a 20 or 30 MOA rail on their actions so any deficiency in ajustment is picked up by the rail....

I think most USO scopes (apart from the SN9) have "only" 80 MOA of ajustment - the 65 of the NXS 32/42 power is pretty close to those.

well boys and girls the sako and nightforce is home

the scope is something else the clarity is second to none and the 22x power is more than ample

did a bit of load development with it and the sako was putting 3 shots in to the .3s at a 100

load is rem brass rem primer 49 grn of imr 4831 under a 100 grn nosler ballistic tip

thanks again for all on advise on the scope

all the best bruxie

Archived