long range 223

Hi I have a tikka master sporter in 223 which I love, but with its 1 in 12 twist its not very good for long range.

I was thinking of re barreling with a 1 in 8 twist 28 inch barrel to shoot 80grain SMK,s, would the action be suitable for this length, if so what profile would be best.

Also would it be a good idea to get the bolt bushed with small firing pin,and finally can the metal mags be adjusted to accommodate the longer bullets. all input greatly appreciated.

If you want to shoot 80 grain bullets, then a 1 in 7" twist would be required David. Couple that with a Wylde chamber to accommodate the longer bullet.

A sako or Tikka varmint profile would be heavy enough at that length, and not over stress the tenon.

The bolt does not require bushing.

I do an AI mag conversion which will allow any length .223 bullet to be used.

A common rebuildr for myself, i,ve done an awful lot of this style. If you want more info, give me a buzz during the week on 07889 388378 [ just not today....I have man-flu ! ]

Actually a 8 twist is more than adequate for 80 SMKs. you only really need a 7 if shooting VLDs such as a Berger or a JLK because of their short bearing surface.

That said, even an 8 twist is more than sufficient for those when shooting to 600yds

Actually a 8 twist is more than adequate for 80 SMKs. you only really need a 7 if shooting VLDs such as a Berger or a JLK because of their short bearing surface.

That said, even an 8 twist is more than sufficient for those when shooting to 600yds

Thanks bradders max range will be 800

An 80 SMK will shoot fine to 800, for 1000 orsothen not so much, and that is where the VLDs come into play.

Saying that, with a longer barrel on your Tikka, you shouldn't have any trouble at all, especially with the extra velocity (compared to a 20" SR barrel that I'm comparing it to)

If the barrel is to be custom, then why limit yourself to a 8 twist?

A 7 will shoot anything available, should you wish it.

With a magazine conversion that will accept literally anything, you would kick yourself if one day you spotted some 90 grain VLD's....and you wanted to give them a whirl.

Archived