Resizing help please!

Otisthedog

I bought a new .243 barrel for my Blaser R93 last week. Bought some Norma factory rounds at the same time, to get shooting and give me some decent brass to reload.

I just sat down to FL size a load of the brass for the first time... and I can't. The case sticks in the die (Redding FL die) and it's going to take a ridiculous amount of force for it to go any further (there's over 1/2" of case still left to go into the die). This is the same with the Norma brass and Hornady fired in the same barrel too.

I am using imperial sizing wax. Have tried different amounts of lube, have cleaned the die inside, and have avoided really leaning on the press because I'm sure I'm going to break something.

The following struck me as odd:

1. I have small ridges in the fired case necks (like when you use a collet die, but you can feel them in your fingers), which I don't get on brass fired in my 308 barrel. Have tried to show them in the pic below.

2. I can't drop or push a bullet inside a fired case, and have measured the inside neck diameter of a fired case and it's .241 - .242".

3. Groups with the factory ammo (100gr sp and 75gr vmax) have been really unpredictable: 3 shots within a 5p piece at 100m, then 3 shots with the same ammo when double-checking the next day giving a perfect 2" triangle. :wacko:

Apologies for the waffle but I'm stuck...please help!

post-12943-0-44948400-1469037806_thumb.jpg

Just to be clear - you are now attempting to resize the factory Norma brass that you have fired once in your rifle - right?

What sort of press - is it a heavy single-stage? Rockchucker or similar?

It's an RCBS RS5 press, and yes this is the factory Norma brass that I have fired once in my new barrel.

Fluted chambers are a military thing. I'm no expert at all on Blasers, but I doubt they have fluted chambers. If those cases have come straight out of the gun, take it back.

Archived