Swarovski EL Range 8x42 vs. Leica Geovid HD-B 8x42 - Head to Head Product review!

Lately I have been luckily enough to handle and use some very sexy optical kit and personally picked up a pair of the HD-B Geovids for myself

It made me think I have the opportunity to review some products head to head
The obvious one being Swaro EL Range and Leica Geovid (HD- B) Rangefinder binos

There is a much more detailed comparison here
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=490182&d=1396360283

But as a layman's review:
Both sets in 8x42 form

Packaging and Dimensions
Swarovski EL Range come in a very sturdy box with all the accessories in a small side compartment.
Small zip toggles on the cordura bag are wrapped in tissue
Binos are bare in their cordura bag which has a zip closure (is this a noise you want when removing binos?)

Leica Geovid HDB come in a fairly flimsy box heavily lined with foam, accessories are on a foam tray that lifts out presenting the binos in a larger cordura bag, binos themselves are in a plastic bag inside this
the cordura carrying case has a large double sided clip, which with practice can be opened and closed very quietly

Once out of the bags the binocular are markedly different
Despite the stats to say otherwise the Swaros look much smaller, most obviously in length

the stand out features to look at are:

• Swaro integrated lens caps, quite stiff and a slight "Pop" when opened in anything other than slow motion, both occular and objective lens covers fix on the inside of the lens housing. not getting them wet for the hell of it I wonder which keeps the lens drier?
  • Leica lens covers fix to the outside of the lens housing, retaining loops and grip on body is not great
  • Swaro have two fairly sizeable bulges under the main bino tube, I believe to house the laser mechanics, I found them quite noticeable when holding the binos.
  • Leica - with closely set eyes and larger than average hands an interlocking thumb position is the only way tohold them without thumbs being squashed together. alternatively hold thumbs along the body of the tube
  • Swaro have a new proprietary fixing for the strap, seen as the black button on the side
  • Leica laser is emitted through a central lens on the hinge
  • Swaro laser is emitted through the objective

Optics

I tried the binos at ranges between 20 and 200 yds in bright sunlight, dusk and darkness (heavily backlit in town)
I did this by simply holding one set in one hand and the other set in the other hand and alternating whilst viewing the same objects in identical conditions

Daylight:
First impressions straight out of the box are the Swaros happened to be focused almost perfectly to my eyes and come with all the expected clarity from the brand
The Geovids have three adjustments, both occular and on the central hinge. This is partly due to a focusing feature to bring the RF reticule into sharp focus, bit does make focusing a little fussy
Once focused I would give the Swaros a marginal edge on brightness and clarity, but without holding them both at the same time or using optical analysis equipment I think you would really struggle to see the difference one day to the next

Dusk:
In Dusk I saw no discernable difference in brightness or clarity between them

Night:
possibly a slight edge to the Leicas in darkness but very little if any

Summary: both incredibly clear and bright and better than pretty much any other pair of binoculars with or without rangefinders in my opinion.
Slightly subjective due to individual eyes obviously

Range Finder

Here is one area the differences in operation and visual are quickly seen
two very different approaches to the same problem

Swaro

The single button operation is as you would expect, point, press, read
however if you press the button once the reticule is displayed and then automatically shows the range, without pre-aiming the reticule this makes fine ranging on small targets a longer task
you need to range, aim the reticule and range again on the target

Leica
I have deliberately avoided reviewing any Ballistic fuction as it is not comparable
but, the Leica Geovids are operated in a more logical way
one press - reticule display, aim at object, press again, range displayed
This may sound like a similar process but there is no re-aiming done and it feels a more intuitive process

This coupled with what is in my opinion a much bigger difference - LRF response time
The Swaro LRF is noticeably slower. add in variable target range of objects between bushes or moving and the response time goes up
The Geovids seem to respond faster in all scenarios
It wasnt ideal that one was set to metres and one yards as I would liked to have seen what direct range comparison showed, I suspect accuracy is very good in both and they would be very similar

Repeated ranging of the same target displayed identical or near identical results at short to moderate distances in both sets with some increase in multiple ranging needed with the Swarovskis

Long range:

The Geovids have been tested well past there indicated 2000yd range regularly ranging targets out to 2500yds
The Swaros did not appear to range past 1500 and it did take a number of readings to get the limit

The ballistic and environmental readings that the HD-B also offers do not currently have a competitor product from Swarovski
Some people have commented on the Leica reticule being to feint and the Swaro one being much brighter
I can't say I noticed a big difference until ranging at night
I personally find some illuminated scope reticules too bright
the Swaro reticule is almost in that category when dark
I can see however that you might want a bright reticule when using the Leica in bright light, but it is still clearly visible even looking into a very bright area

Summary

All in all two cracking pairs of binos each with the distinct packaging and operational differences

There are some notable comparisons on stated data below:

• Swarovski data is sometimes overstated (rounding up of exit pupil for example)
  • Despite the apparent size difference the actual weight difference is marginal, but the Leicas are heavier
  • When the eye caps are wound out the Leicas look considerably longer
  • Analysed light transmission figures clearly favour the Swaros but test data was below marketing material
  • LRF range and battery life cycle favour the Leica

UK RRP
Leica Geovid 8x42 HD-B - Around £1849
Leica geovid 8x42 HD-R - Around £1649
Swaro EL Range 8x42 - Around £2065

better deals can be had shopping around and overseas

Leica%20Swaro%20comparison_zps3yjibytl.p

IMG_4120_zpsbrtok8qd.jpg

IMG_4119_zpsjshpwday.jpg

IMG_4117_zps8z8sq49j.jpg

IMG_4116_zpslwkeqbof.jpg

IMG_4115_zpslsumnfzb.jpg

IMG_4114_zpswebgghzd.jpg

IMG_4113_zps3ahwpk8f.jpg

IMG_4112_zpsh6ndlb5b.jpg

IMG_4111_zps6fesqesv.jpg

I don't see what the packaging has to do with the performance of the product. That gets binned from the off. But other than that the review has me on the fence now. I had intended on purchasing The Leica but the Swarovski have a lot going for them.

"I have deliberately avoided reviewing any Ballistic fuction as it is not comparable"

In doing this you have totally missed the point of the Leica HD B's. It is precisely this feature that totally outweighs any small optical difference between the Swaro and the Leica. Having used a set for 2 seasons now, as long as you have the correct ballistic details in the bins you can guarantee a first round hit regardless of angle or environmental changes at any sensible range (as long as you can read wind, but that's the shooter not the bins job) , you ping the target and about 5 seconds later you get a firing solution in come up clicks for your scope, couldn't be simpler once its set up.

Mike

PS My last bins were Swaro 8.5X42 EL's, without doubt the best non range finding bins on the market for deer stalking imho.

I don't see what the packaging has to do with the performance of the product. That gets binned from the off. But other than that the review has me on the fence now. I had intended on purchasing The Leica but the Swarovski have a lot going for them.

"packaging" is not just the box, its the layout, the bumps in the Swaro tube, the strap fixings, the lens caps fixture etc

"I have deliberately avoided reviewing any Ballistic fuction as it is not comparable"

In doing this you have totally missed the point of the Leica HD B's. It is precisely this feature that totally outweighs any small optical difference between the Swaro and the Leica. Having used a set for 2 seasons now, as long as you have the correct ballistic details in the bins you can guarantee a first round hit regardless of angle or environmental changes at any sensible range (as long as you can read wind, but that's the shooter not the bins job) , you ping the target and about 5 seconds later you get a firing solution in come up clicks for your scope, couldn't be simpler once its set up.

Mike

PS My last bins were Swaro 8.5X42 EL's, without doubt the best non range finding bins on the market for deer stalking imho.

No, but there is no point reviewing something that can't be competed against when the HD-R exists

The only reason i did the review on the HD-B is that those are mine and were to hand

But i agree, absolute no brainer

the HDB ballistic and environmental functions make the Swaro offering redundant...but then I bought the Leicas!

in HD-R form there is really not much in it and it comes down to how much you like the LRF and the brand

Nice review. My Leicas have only range found out to 1950 yards in any conditions but that's far enough. Another point is I don't find them very comfortable. Good point is the ballistics now I've played with it are spot on.

FWIW I did much the same on the 10x42's for Swaro and Leica.

My summary would be:

- It's basically a wash, and comes down to personal preference as to which of the marginal differences are more important to the user.

- The Leica's are a bit bigger and heavier. Swaro's are lighter and a bit more compact.

- Swaro's have an edge on the glass. Both are very very good. Much better than my older Leica 8x56. I liked the boost a 10x gave me with better light transmission.

- Leica's laser is faster (and IMHO a bit more 'elegant' FWIW)

- Obviously the ballistics are a key differentiator. Equally they have their limitations.

So if glass is your thing and/or weight size => Swaro's are for you

If you want a super slick highly efficient laser => Leica for me. YMMV.

If the Ballistics function is useful to you then there is only one. I was not entirely convinced about the real value of this as I know my dope but it does speed up interpolation at 'in-between' ranges leaving me to think about the wind. Useful in some situations but not a panacea. Depends on your game I guess.

They are both great. If someone gave me a present of either I would be delighted.

Got a damn good deal from Cluny

Archived