600m with .223 in a strong wind

That looks like a big rock - why not use a target more suited to demonstrating accuracy?

That looks like a big rock - why not use a target more suited to demonstrating accuracy?

It is not such a big rock appx. 40x50 however it is really hard to climb up there and it is not a shooting range... The rock seemed a natural choice since there are no people walking around...

40x50....what units.......cm?

Without a far better idea of size,the question becomes:what 223 would not hit/be pretty close,and for more than two shots only? I understand access is difficult-the question is,is hitting such a rock difficult,or does it need above average rifle/ammo?

gbal

cm yes, sorry... It is not difficult, with a decent ammo and rifle it is pretty much easy...

Thanks,Trazman- as an approx perspective,a regulation size 5 european football is about 22cm diameter-about 9 inches...so it would need 1.5 moa precision to hit regularly,with very good shooting accuracy.

The rock is a fair bit bigger (approx twice the size....whatever,it woud be fun to shoot at,and bullet strikes are clear.

Absolute presision/accuracy are not everything,and fairly elusive anyhow.

A Tennis ball is 2.7inches,so would need a rig at least 1/2moa accuracy (rifle/ammo/shooter) to have any chance of non luck hits,even without a wind.

gbal

Thanks,Trazman- as an approx perspective,a regulation size 5 european football is about 22cm diameter-about 9 inches...so it would need 1.5 moa precision to hit regularly,with very good shooting accuracy.

The rock is a fair bit bigger (approx twice the size....whatever,it woud be fun to shoot at,and bullet strikes are clear.

Absolute presision/accuracy are not everything,and fairly elusive anyhow.

A Tennis ball is 2.7inches,so would need a rig at least 1/2moa accuracy (rifle/ammo/shooter) to have any chance of non luck hits,even without a wind.

gbal

That is absolutely true. I will try to take over there some gongs when I find some time and I will do some more shooting...

I don't know about that rock being the size of a soccer ball. I think it's considerably bigger.... those weren't finches flying between the camera and the rock after the first shot. I could be wrong. ~Andrew

Andrew,agreed- " about twice the size" I suggested,but it's very approximate-point being that would need a modest 3moa 'ball park' rifle.

Pretty sure no-one could hit the birds-nor should they try :-)

g

Agreed. No bird shooting.

When we shoot cross country here, and we get the range, the next thing we do is use the scope (mil or MOA) to judge the size of the target. Would have been relatively easy to include but perhaps that was outside the immediate scope of the vid. (high wind shooting) ~Andrew

I went out on Saturday with my rifle for the first time on months, it's a semi custom .223 Ackley improved shooting the mighty 80 grain Amax.

Not much about where I was at but spotted a rabbit at 365 yatds. Already having the data for that range I imputed the elevation requirements, measured wind speed and directions, the kestrel had already recorded all the other data like barrometic pressure and temp etc.

I dialed in for 5.5 MPH half value wind (nothing major) took aim and sent a 80 grain Amax straight to the head with presision.

Not much was about after a while so I put a standard clay pigeon targets out on the stone walls at 440 yards (quater of a mile)

I worked out the fireing solutions for the shot and proceed to shoot all 5 clays for 6 shots. The one shot I missed was a natural wicker down wind, it may have been me or a slightly greater wind diflection on that shot.

A standard clay pigeon target is 4 inches in diameter. Shooting them at 440 yards proves that and demonstrates Hit too miss ration for a target less then 1MOA size for that distance in them conditions. If I had have been shooting rabbits centre mass then it would have been 5x dead rabbits in that day.

I have shot a half inch group at 400 yards with this set up, OK that was once but can and in still conditions offten do shoot 1 inch groups which is 0.25MOA. So the rifle can and does perform better then me.

So moving on, the challenge is the wind, with any caliber bullet combination, wind will move your bullet. You have to physicaly put rounds down range on target and asses the POI, if they are not going where they should try and work out why, for example, is that 7 MPH wind recorded at the firing location speeding up as it travels up the valey 400 yatds out or is the wind decreasing as it passes through trees or vegetation etc, its a massive learning curve and you don't improve unless you pracrise, practise practice.

Up until Christmas I was shooting litrely hundreds per month, learning all the time....that's why I always argue the case regarding long range vermin Control CAN be done, subject to the rifle/ammo combo, quality optics and equiptment, shooters ability and most of all time in the field practicing on target before trying it on live animals.

Steve

I went out on Saturday with my rifle for the first time on months, it's a semi custom .223 Ackley improved shooting the mighty 80 grain Amax.

Not much about where I was at but spotted a rabbit at 365 yatds. Already having the data for that range I imputed the elevation requirements, measured wind speed and directions, the kestrel had already recorded all the other data like barrometic pressure and temp etc.

I dialed in for 5.5 MPH half value wind (nothing major) took aim and sent a 80 grain Amax straight to the head with presision.

Not much was about after a while so I put out 5 x standard clay pigeon targets out on the stone walls at 440 yards (quater of a mile)

I worked out the fireing solutions for the shot and proceed to shoot all 5 clays for 6 shots. The one shot I missed was a natural wicker down wind, it may have been me or a slightly greater wind diflection on that shot.

A standard clay pigeon target is 4 inches in diameter. Shooting them at 440 yards proves that and demonstrates Hit too miss ration for a target less then 1MOA size for that distance in them conditions. If I had have been shooting rabbits centre mass then it would have been 5x dead rabbits in that day.

I have shot a half inch group at 400 yards with this set up, OK that was once but can and in still conditions offten do shoot 1 inch groups which is 0.25MOA. So the rifle can and does perform better then me.

So moving on, the challenge is the wind, with any caliber bullet combination, wind will move your bullet. You have to physicaly put rounds down range on target and asses the POI, if they are not going where they should try and work out why, for example, is that 7 MPH wind recorded at the firing location speeding up as it travels up the valey 400 yatds out or is the wind decreasing as it passes through trees or vegetation etc, its a massive learning curve and you don't improve unless you pracrise, practise practice.

Up until Christmas I was shooting litrely hundreds per month, learning all the time....that's why I always argue the case regarding long range vermin Control CAN be done, subject to the rifle/ammo combo, quality optics and equiptment, shooters ability and most of all time in the field practicing on target before trying it on live animals.

Steve

Archived