6.5x55 sierria 140grain gk load

jimsim06

Good evening just wondered if anyone is using the sierria 140grain gk in 6.5x55 , I have a sako 85 22inch barrel I have tried n160 and velocity was poor and have tried swiss rs60 (reloader 17) and can't seem to get them to shoot I'm using lap brass fed Gm primers and loaded to 2,995 col has anybody any experience with this bullet thanks

SAAMI spec commercial ammo runs as below (24" barrel-so maybe expect 50fps less in 22"):

Norma 140Nosler part 2690fps

S&B 140SP 2671fps

Fed 140 HI Shok SP 2650

Rem 140 PS CoreLokt 2550

Win 140 SP 2550

Hornady 140 SP Int lock 2525

Lapua 140 Naturalis 2625

What fps were you getting?

"What does 'can't get them to shoot' mean- poor accuracy.....if so,maybe your barrel just does not like them-try some other bullets.

COAL should not be more than a fine tune issue-but you need to be using Cartridge Base To Ogive-COAL is imprecise,as bullets vary a bit in length,even in the same box,and it may vary too with your comparator and sensitivity to use.Useful darum for you,not reliable for others-but that is a minor detail.

V165 shoots 140g very well in my 6.5x55 Ack Imp custom -sub 1/2 moa;but rifles can differ in prefered diet.

gbal

I use a Base to ogive gauge , I was getting 2500 fps tops with n160 on max load accuracy was just over an inch at 100 meters when working up , the Swiss rs 60 can achieve 2700 fps but accuracy is terrible 1.5 inch at 100 with most loads working up in 0.5 increments I guess my barrel just don't like them thanks for the info

Jimsim, maybe another suitable bullet is the way to go-I'd not be too worried about losing 50 fps or so (as it must in 22 inch ) -if accuracy gave good delivery of the energy- it is likely to be enough anyhow,for UK quarry.

g

Hi jimsim,

how are you determining your max load? Is it a book max load or an observed load ie any more and you get pressure signs? As gbal said you're not gonna get much more than 2550-2600 out of 140's in a 22inch swede anyway. I use the 120 sierra pro hunter in my swede to great effect from munties to red stags.

Mike

Hi Mike it's book max load I haven't gone over the max load yet (Lee manual) and haven't seen how far it will go , i have some 120 pro hunter s here but not tried them yet , I have good loads for nosler 120bt and the 140 sst , but struggling with these 140 gk s

Lapus brass, 120gr pro hunter, magnum primer,( or rem 91/2 if you can get them) and 46grs of Vit160 with an OAL OF 3"

Be surprised if that doesn't cloverleaf for you Jim

Mike

Finally getting somewhere with the sierria 140 gk worked up a few loads yesterday all shot a lot better with the Swiss rs60 powder managed to get to 2690 fps and very good accuracy 3 bullets practically through the same hole at 100m thanks for the advice

Good to hear such progress-out of curiosity,you first reported the swiss rs60 was 'terrible-1.5 inches at 100"-now it's three in one hole-on the assumption the others are not 1.5 inches from that hole(!),and that you are getting consistent groups around say .5 inch,what are you doing differently to explain such a dramatic improvement?

There may be lessons for others in all this!

g

Norma load a 120 Nosler BT @2822 fps (24" barrel) just for reference/comparison.

gbal

2,776 fps out of my box-stock Sako Finnlight in 6.5 x 55mm for the Norma load with Nosler 120 grain Ballistic Tip.

maximus otter

A few lessons learnt really , firstly I went off a mates load data who has the same rifle so I started to high up the ladder , second I went off his oal , I changed my oal and started a slightly lower charge and worked up , so a lesson learnt for me all rifles / barrels are different

Excellent topic. I have 4 of the 6.5 Creedmoors and shooting them wonderfully. I really like the 6.5mm bullet selection now days. In the early 1980's i had a 6.5-'08 and it shot well but i could not find a good bullet to shoot 200-600 in the NRA matches so i went back to gold old .308.

I recently built a RPA Quadlock action with a 30 inch 6.5x55 chamber and i am enjoying finding a load for it.

I would not be looking for a max load, i would be seeking a starting load. Once you have a safe starting load, create a ladder of loads to shoot with and look for pressure signs and groups down range. I'd shoot over a chronograph and compare to the case appearance ( signs of too hot a load) and find your niche in there somewhere.

I am in the same boat, brother. I have lots of Sierra 6.5mm 140 and 142's. a couple of thousand of the Lapua 6.5mm 123's and a good range of powder. So i am trying myself. As i get something shooting well i will certainly share.

Thanks for your post on this comment!

Will

Some people are like Slinky's. They are not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face if you push them down a flight of stairs

Thanks jimsim-that clarifies- evenif a load is 'safe' in someone else's rifle (how do we know it's safe?-all we know is it hasn't caused problems to date.

BUtalways best to satart with the mpowder manufacturer's data ,and work up to their max load-or quit as soon as any slight pressure signs appear-another 50fps will make no figfference at the target end.

And see my comments in post 2 here-COAL is a weasel measure-as they allare using cheap comparators (the only kind-£20 hole in aluminum isn't precision chamber specs,and it all varies with your finger sensitivity (trust me,I've asked a representative sample of women,and psychologists have measured two point sensitivity-men especially differ in how close two pin points are together before they cannot say one/two reliably). Seriously, 'comparator' should be taken as just that-if you are consistent ,you can have some confidence in any differncdes in your readings,but this does not extend to between reloader differences.

And the biggie anyhow-bullets from the same box can vary quite a bit in length-enough to make seating depths quite erratic,are much more uniform for ogive measurement..(the length issue is probably a little better for say Berger,often reports for Hornady are poor....but the main point is there-bullets just vary in length,so COAL is a poor measure,and CBto Ogive is a good measure,especially for seating depth.

(Of course see what friends are using,but start as per book-or a grain to grain and a half below,and see how it goes-no-one can measure pressure,and even chronos can be a bit chronic).And rifles differ a tad too.

Happy reloading/shooting

gbal

Back to the OP, and this will seem way off the rails, I have been shooting IMR 7828SSC in my 6.5x55 with the Sierra 140 GK. I have many 6.5x55's and this powder/bullet combo has been tops. Well under MOA from at least three rifles. Kills big deer like the Hand of God.~Andrew

Iv heard of a few people using that powder to good affect , I have managed to find a good load with Swiss rs60 doing 2690 fps with accuracy less than 0.5 at 100m with a 22inch barrel , what sort of velocity are you getting ?

Regards Jim

Ted105,

my load was for a 120grn pro hunter sierra, I'd think it would be a bit on the hot side for 140's in a lot of 6.5x55's

devil's in the detail!!

Mike

• 3 months later...

I have favored the 6.5 creedmoor for a number of years but need something with a little longer reach for the 1000 yes matches. I built the 6.5x55 on an RPA Quadlock and put it in a McMillan prone stock. John Whidden cut the diameter of the bull barrel I had o it so it would be easier to hold with a sling in position. Barrel is a Bartlein 30" with 1:8" twist. The loads with 4350 shoot well at 2740 fps but I am trying to get Sierra 140/142 and Berger 140 Hybrds to 2900 fps.

Does anyone there shoot a load at that in a 30 inch barrel?

Thanks

Will

Archived