Advice about Ruger Precision Rifle a Caliber Question

Depends largely on the answer to three questions:

1) What do you want the rifle for, and at what distances?

2) do you want a short-barrel model (the 308 comes with 20-inches) or a quite long barrel version (Creedmoor comes with 26-inches)? The latter is better suited to prone slowfire marked target shooting; the former is much handier in McQueens, CSR, Tactical, anything like that. If field use is envisaged, length / weight issues apply as well as the calibres / bullet weight / quarries.

3) Do you want to buy factory ammo or do you intend to handload? Right now, 308 is easier to obtain and cheaper, especially if you're happy with FMJ ammo from GGG, S&B, and PPU. Factory 6.5 Creedmoor has been as common as hen's teeth, but Edgar Bros. has just obtained (or if not will do so imminently) large quantities of Hornady 120/140gn AMAX match ammo. In the USA, it's cheaper than 308, but that guarantees nothing here, and it'll certainly not match GGG milspec prices, or even the NRA 155gn GGG loaded match ammo as sold at Bisley and a few other places.

There is a substantial difference in external ballistics between the two in the 6.5's favour. The 6.5 shoots flatter, retains velocity better over larger distances so no transonic / speed of sound worries out to 1,000 yards and moves less in the wind. That applies when compared to a 26-inch barrel 308, much more so against a 20-inch barrel number with its reduced MVs.

The 6.5 has less recoil making it somewhat easier to shoot and get good results, but both cartridges are inherently capable of high precision with good ammunition or handloads with good components.

Right now, the handloader is better catered for by the 308 with a huge choice of dies, brass and bullets. The Creedmoor user will have to search around a bit more for brass and dies and will pay a bit more for cases, although with sensible loads, they should have a good life. The choice of 6.5 bullets isn't as large as for 308, but that's not to say it's poor, just that the 308 options are so numerous. Once the brass and dies are obtained, the 6.5 is marginally cheaper to run in terms of consumables. However, the 308 offers roughly twice the barrel life to the very high volume user at ~5,000 rounds v 2,500 or so.

And finally, there is also the issue of whether you have any ambitions to use it to compete semi-seriously and if so in which disciplines.

nfarmer, don't know if any help but I was on dauntsey guns webb site to day and they have FOURTEEN rpr in stock all the available calibers you are only an hour or so away from them perhaps have a drive down and have a look.for what its worth my son uses one for work all the time his is a 308 and he gets on really well with it <he is a full time keeper>

Barrel on the 6.5 is 24" I own both. My 308 will shoot half inch at 100yds with my 168 and 175 loads that duplicate federal gold medal match. The 6.5 will consistently shoot quarter inch groups at 200yds using the load data Hornaday posts on the side of the box of factory ammo 41.5 grains of H4350 140 grain AMAX wich I substitute with the 142 SMK.

....., or even the NRA 155gn GGG loaded match ammo as sold at Bisley and a few other places.

Who else is selling this Laurie, as I thought it was exclusive to the NRA?

Mark, somebody mentioned on UKV a while back that some dealers outside of Bisley would have it, but IIRC not at NRA prices. I've not heard of any such though, so maybe it never happened. If so, a shame as I've no likelihood of visiting Bisley in the near future and I'd like to get hold of a couple of cartons just to give it a try. Its RWS predecessor shot very well for me in a standard 22-inch barrel Howa Varmint and gave me a benchmark for handloads. MVs were only 2,500 something fps though in the short standard spec 300/308 barrel. The TR boys' and girls' 'tight' barrels make quite a difference, length aside.

Laurie, I'll be at Bisley on Sunday and at the Egg shoot the week after. I'd be happy to grab you some. I buy it from the NRA and keep it in stock for our club rifle anyway. It is very good, I haven't found a .308 that doesn't like it yet.

Laurie, I'll be at Bisley on Sunday and at the Egg shoot the week after. I'd be happy to grab you some. I buy it from the NRA and keep it in stock for our club rifle anyway. It is very good, I haven't found a .308 that doesn't like it yet.

I won't make The Egg Shoot, but if you can see your way to giving Brian Fox, Vince Bottomley. or Stuart Anselm (if he's there and got 'The Lodge' open) a couple of cartons (ie 40 rounds) for me I'd be grateful. PM me as to what I owe you and I'll send a cheque or PayPal you.

Archived