bullet weights and powders for .308 20" 1:12

LDC1982

I'm in the process of looking at a .308 with a 20" 1:12 barrel.

I'm only going to be shooting this out to 600 yards most of the time. Can anyone recommend a bullet weight I have a few tubs of RS 52 so would prefer to use that if possible.

cheers

Liam

Liam,as John's advice.

155g bullets are fine for all distances,and SMK are a sound,popular choice. 168 are good too about 700y.

There is unlikely to be anything gained by the heavier bullets,which do have some BC advantages for longer ranges-but of course,a bit more recoil,which never helps steady shooting.A moderator makes shooting much more pleasant-and you can see reactive targets reacting!

308 tends to be quite tolerant of powders,but the RS 52 is likely to be as good as any,and you have it. Vihtavuori 140 is another fine powder,if you have to change.But resist the temptation to fiddle too much,and remember that to 600 or so,small velocity increases will not be worth chasing,and never at the expense of accuracy.

Opt for a locally available supply of components (above are generally available).

Accurate Shooter site has lots on the 308 cartridge-bear in mind it's US oriented.

Enjoy.

gbal

Agree with the above. RS52 or VV-N140 ideal. I have a 308 with a 1/11 barrel and am currently using 155 SMKs for 0.35 moa at 100 yds (43.1gr VV N140 but have also used 44g for a very accurate load).

Archived