.338 tracer

PaulC

Nobody know?

I am wondering how representative tracers are, surely the weight of the bullet will be different and change as it burns during flight.

Just my thoughts of course.

I don't believe it exists.

.338 is a designated sniper round. Snipers have no use for tracer.

BD would know a lot more about indicator rounds for Artillery, but I think they use .50 ?

.338 would have to be "dark start" otherwise the game would be up.

If I,m wrong, please put me in the queue for some. :)

Nobody know?

I am wondering how representative tracers are, surely the weight of the bullet will be different and change as it burns during flight.

Just my thoughts of course.

when I've watched the 50 cal tracers the ones that don't burn fall short of the target when the ones that do burn proper they shoot the correct elevation so your theory is correct I'd say.i was watching them last Saturday burn out to 2470yds.

As far as I can tell, there are no tracer bullets for the 338 Lapua as of yet. I've looked online and I've looked through my work's book on the subject (Jane's Ammunition Handbook) and not one is listed. Saying that, General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems (GD-OTS) did develop the Lightweight Medium Machine Gun (LWMMG) (link and link) which was chambered in 338 Norma Magnum. As it's a machine gun, other natures such as ball (FMJ), armour piecing (AP), armour piecing incendiary (API) natures and tracer would no doubt be developed for use during development testing instead of using match grade bullets!

The weigh of tracer bullets varies considerable in comparison to the ball round, though they are most often only slightly lighter. The weight of the tracer bullet will change in flight, so even if the same shape, the rate of deceleration will change (increase) for the tracer as it looses weight. This is counter balanced to some degree by the gas produced by the burning tracer - the tracer acting like a short duration base bleed unit (BBU) used to extend the range of artillery projectiles - so the bullets are nearly matched in trajectory. Once burnt out, the tracer will not follow the same trajectory.

Normal tracers can be seen from the side and depending on the tracer type and light condition, sometimes from the target's point of view. Delayed trace (dark start) would still show the direction of fire and the trajectory it traces could be used find the firing position. It would be better to use dim-trace, IR-trace, or even better the under development one-way luminescence (OWL) tracer technology (link). The latter does not use an burning tracer at all, but phosphor and lens technology. The phosphor is energised by the effects produced on firing (UV light, pressure, etc.), the light it produces focused by a lens.

Going by data on 50 cal tracer bullets, the specs state they have to trace between 100 and 1,600 yards. Guess some were burning for some time later than the about 2.3 seconds it takes to get to 1,600 yards, as the time to 2,460 yards is nearer 4 seconds?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, my thoughts were the same but I met someone a member of FCSA who told me they were definitely available but it was just a numbers thing and ordering a certain quantity from the states. And of course no one has ever heard of a belt fed .338 weapon I presume, I certainly haven't.

Thanks Paul

As mentioned above, the GD-OTS Lightweight Medium Machine Gun (LWMMG) is belt fed and in 338 calibre.

PS Some of the links don't work as the Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) website seems to be down, or they are blocking access from non-US IP addresses.

Thanks for the info, my thoughts were the same but I met someone a member of FCSA who told me they were definitely available but it was just a numbers thing and ordering a certain quantity from the states. And of course no one has ever heard of a belt fed .338 weapon I presume, I certainly haven't.

Thanks Paul

Don't listen to everything you are told! Not seen nor hears of any 338lm tracer.

Thanks Paul

Don't listen to everything you are told! Not seen nor hears of any 338lm tracer being commercially available.

Thanks Paul

Don't listen to everything you are told! Not seen nor heard of any 338lm tracer being commercially available.

Archived