1000 rd calibres

cakeordeath

Being new to long range target shooting I have been told that .308 struggles to cut the mustard and I should think about getting a .338 on my ticket.

this brings up a couple of questions:

yards or metres?

Is a .308 the right calibre to use as that is currently what I have. and sticking with this is a 20" barrel OK or should it be more like 26"?

Alternately should I look at .338, .300 win mag, or anything else considered the right calibre by those in the know?

Being new to long range target shooting I have been told that .308 struggles to cut the mustard.

Don't tell them at Bisley - .308 seems to manage fairly well, and the Match shooters use it to 1,200 yards.

There again, you won't it being used for F-Open ... ... ... depends very well on what you want to do at 1,000 yards/metres but .338 Lapua Magnum certainly isn't necessary, but it does rather well. Look at some of the calibres used for F-Open - perhaps have a look at the WSMs, or various others.

If you never want to do more than 1000 then a 338 will cost a fortune to feed and is not needed.

308 will do but a 6.5 or 7mm is better...my view.

It's 'horses for courses' - what do you want to shoot? Benchrest, F Class Open, FTR? Or what?

As Vince says-some competitions have constraints too,on what is allowed.

Maybe you could add some indication of your 'ambition' eg just occasional small club fun days (holes somewhere on paper),or semi serious (holes within 15 inches) or serious (holes under 10 inches)......it will affect the choice quite a bit (and the cost)....as will how many rounds you expect to fire.

....ie which courses -then we can better sort the horses! It's not that complex,but better to get applicable advice...

gbal

Archived