220 Russian / 6mm PPC

maltbuck

The 6 mm PPC per se was never standardised by SAAMI, though CIP does have a 'standard' chamber and case dimensions. A derivative of the cartridge was developed by Sako and standardised by both, this known as the 6 mm PPC USA.

Looking at the CIP data on the two, the cases differ very slightly in many dimensions. Rifles that use the 6 mm PPC chambering will need the cartridges custom made for their rifle. As far as I can ascertain, the main difference encountered between 6 mm PPC chamberings is a vast range of neck diameters (internal and external) used, so once a 220 Russian is resized, the cases will need neck turning to the required dimensions and then fire-formed.

Also cases made from the 220 Russian, or other sources (e.g. 7.62x39) will have differing internal volumes, which may cause problems if differing source brass is used as most benchrest loads seem to be very near the top end pressure wise.

Even rifles of the commercial chamberings (22 and 6 mm PPC USA) may have used custom chamber reamers which require the owner to neck turn the cases. That or just have a preference to use custom made cases using the high quality Lapua 220 Russian as their basis.

Saying that, it would be nice if Lapua did make 6 mm PPC or PPC USA cases for those (like me) that can't be arsed with all the fire-forming and neck-sizing shenanigans. As to the BR crowd, as far as I can tell it seems that making the cases is part of the enjoyment the BR person gets from their hobby, plus it's a necessity too as there's no standard case and the cases have to fit to damn tight tolerances ;)

Although as you say most BR shooters use the 6mmPPC, other derivatives are widely used - 22PPC, 220 Russian, 6mm/220 Russian, 6mm Beggs 22 PPC 'short' etc. - all based on the Lapua 220 Russian case.

The whole basis of benchrest accuracy is having brass which exactly fits YOUR chamber - fire-forming is the only way to achieve this and there must be hundreds of reamer versions of the 6mmPPC.

Although it is possible to buy 6PPC brass, no one does - it's just not as good as the Lapua 220 Russian.

Lapua incidentally keep in close contact with the benchrest fraternity and strive to make their 220 Russian the best possible they can make - that's why we use it.

Many thanks to you both for explaining. I suppose it makes sense, I just find it strange when we all use the 6mm BR in tight necks / custom chambers etc, yet there are numerous manufactures producing brass, even to the point with Norma they have now started making 6mm Dasher brass.

Kind regards,

MB

Honestly, if every 6PPC benchrest shooter switched to 6BR, I reckon we would be shooting just as well as we do with the PPC. The 30BR shooters (necked-up 6BR) are already proving this. But, it will never happen - unless Lapua stopped making the brass!

Archived