Powder choice for 69TMK and 75AMAX in a 22-250

JGK

Does anyone have any recommendations for the above bullet/caliber combination? I have been running IMR 4350 behind the TMK's but the accurate load with reasonable velocity developed over the winter has proved to be a little hot now the weather has warmed up. I've had some encouraging initial tests with H414, but as I'm going to buy some more powder and bullets later this week I thought I would ask what your all using.

Thanks for your replies. Went down today but unfortunately none of the reloader 17 in stock. I ended up with a tub of H4350 over H414, according to the gunsmith it will give better velocities for the same pressures in the 22-250. Can I ask why you gave up on a-max?

Thanks for your replies. Went down today but unfortunately none of the reloader 17 in stock. I ended up with a tub of H4350 over H414, according to the gunsmith it will give better velocities for the same pressures in the 22-250. Can I ask why you gave up on a-max?

Hmm, not sure where the gunsmith got his details from? According to the Hodgdon Reloading centre, using a 70 gr Speer Soft Point bullet there's very little difference between the two powders?
For Hodgdon H4350 (aka ADI, now Thales, AR2209), 34.0 gr gives 3,007 fps at 44,800 CUP, where as 36.0 gr gives 3,129 fps at 49,600 CUP. With Hodgdon H414, 31.0 gr gives 2,860 fps at 42,000 CUP, with 34.0 gr giving 3,117 fps at 49,400 CUP.
So H414 gives 12 fps less speed at 200 CUP lower pressure. Not really anything in it as far as I can tell? H414 is double base, whereas H4350 is single base, so the latter is potentially less erosive.

I use H4350 in my 22-250, I haven't had any problems with warm weather, I have never tried RL17 even though I have plenty in the cupboard as I use it in my WSM.

I too gave up with A-Max, they just wouldn't group, as soon as I changed to the 77gr TMK the rifle grouped fantastically, mine is a 7 twist though. I have now given up with all Hornady bullets in all my rifles, they are just not consistent enough IMO

My rifle is a 1:9 twist so I will give the amax a try and see what happens, I have a few 69TMKs left if the amax don't work. With regard to the powders the hornady data for 75 Amax has 37.2 as a max load for H4350 and 38.1 for H414, so I will start with that data and try to work up a load. Thanks for your input, I will report back.

Archived