6,5x47

Swarovski1

The 3 that ive owned weren't fussy, havent even done any load development on the latest and its shooting very well, thats with 123 amax.

Neil,

Read on : Accurate Shooter "Ten years of the 6.5x47

Travis Redell with extensive testing found that ten to eighty thou off the lands did not change accuracy with the 140 Berger Hybrids,whereas the 130 hybrids had mixed reports.

And the 140 Berger VLD was temperamental;yet the 130 VLD was less so.......

VLDs often are of course,and Hybrids are designed to be more depth tolerant......go figure...

Well,one issue is that freebore can vary a bit in 6.5x47L chamberings.....so that may be a factor in the differences....and as ever,there will likely be individual rifle differences (and load interacting with them-eg a bit more velocity).

Generally when a respected writer does a decent set of tests,they are 'accurate'-ie true for his test rigs...when someone else shoots a single 3 shot group.....the reliability (replicability) is simply not known.

Part of the fun?

g

Hi gar have you tried 140gr amaxs in your 47 or is your twist not fast enough.how far off have u seated the 123s.as for the 130 vld hunting bullets.i wouldn't use them if they were free.for longrange target I may use 140gr hybrids.i will see how the 140 amaxs shoot first.they are very good in my 1 in 7.89 twisting 6.5 06.absalutely superb in fact.funny enough I tried 130gr vld hunting.140 hybrids and 140 vlds in my 6.5 06.first ones in each I made to test shot extremely well.theyre just alot more expensive and I am not a br shooter.my target shooting is snap shooting

Hi gar have you tried 140gr amaxs in your 47 or is your twist not fast enough.how far off have u seated the 123s.

no and I have no idea. I just used the ammo that worked in my sako, the was .020 off in that rifle, I haven't measured the blaser

I don't have any desire to use 140 gn bullets in a cartridge that was designed for 123gn bullets, the 123's do everything I want them too, and very well at that

Hi gar have you tried 140gr amaxs in your 47 or is your twist not fast enough.how far off have u seated the 123s.as for the 130 vld hunting bullets.i wouldn't use them if they were free.for longrange target I may use 140gr hybrids.i will see how the 140 amaxs shoot first.they are very good in my 1 in 7.89 twisting 6.5 06.absalutely superb in fact.funny enough I tried 130gr vld hunting.140 hybrids and 140 vlds in my 6.5 06.first ones in each I made to test shot extremely well.theyre just alot more expensive and I am not a br shooter.my target shooting is snap shooting

Why would you not use 130 vld's if they were free?

At 1000yds gar

if I was going to shoot 1000y I wouldn't use a cartridge designed to shoot 300y. simples. 300y suits my close range stalking needs

I was reading about the 6,5x47 on accurate shooter again last night and came across the part where zak smith tried seating depths from 10 fow to 100 fow off and stated there was no noticeable accuracy difference, would this statement be correct

It's thou, as in thousandth not fow, not unless you type with a speech impediment.

There was no mention of the intention for hunting and you mentioned shooting at 1000 yards so I took it was for target work.

Most serious target shooters wouldnt consider amax for target shooting as they just arent consistent enough. If you want to be competitive at 1000 yards use bergers or similar quality.

Berger may have the edge.i won't dispute that.theyve got the price tag ro go with it.ive only recently tried 140gr amax at 1000yds and they shoot nicely.i usually use 142gr smks but I've a good few amaxs now.if you read up on the 7mm on accurate shooter I sure you will find the 162gr amax is a very accurate bullet.i think spud uses 140gr max for 100yds br.i think amaxs are superb bullets and sure many others do too

The 47 being easy to load for is very appealling even though ive always liked the ammo testing, maybe the 47 was initially designed for 300yd shooting disaplines but the 6mm br and his mates the 6xc was I think a 600yd cartridge but boy can they reach out there.

I feel I've decided to run with the 6.5x47.it will be mainly a range rifle.i will take it for a walk across the fields time to time.was thinking 1 in 8 twist.will probaly use mainly 140s unless advised diffent.not sure on barrel length yet.was thinking 26 to 28 inch.it will get to shoot 1000yds. mcqueens type disaplines.thoughts please

Archived