Fully moderated

Hi guys,

As anybody tried a fully moderated rifle, if so was there any noticeable sound reduction between it and a good moderator, looking to use it on a 6.5x47 stalking rifle which I use for fallow on a permission I have there are a couple of private houses which border the land so far this as not been a problem but the deer seem to be about at first light and not wanting to cause any problem for the farmer I would like to be as quite a possible , the max distance I shoot is 200 yards.

Thanks for your time.

Have used the AI fully moderated a fair bit. Only really quiet with subsonic ammunition which probably will not make deer legal.in 308 drop off with this ammunition is a fair amount at 200 metres. There are some people on the forum who have had some success with fully silenced so they may reply. There is a fully moderated AT on stalking directory if you have a spare £3000

Sure I've seen a review of a fully moderated rifle sold by the guy who imports Mae sound mods. Think it was in 6.5x47 and they still managed some decent speeds with normal loads from memory

Hi bradders, can you tell me does a fully moderated rifle have a real sound difference over a good moderater , bearing in mind I need to keep it deer legal cant use sub sonic ammunition .

Hi bradders, can you tell me does a fully moderated rifle have a real sound difference over a good moderater , bearing in mind I need to keep it deer legal cant use sub sonic ammunition .

A sound moderator can only attenuate so much and with supersonic ammo it's all negligible anyway.

Some are quieter than others but a lot is perception due to the tone of the report etc.

As the old saying goes, " a good big'un will always beat a good littl'un" and that is probably true with suppressors, especially when talking about swept volume.

Then main benefit from "fully moderated" as in a suppressor that covers the full length of the barrel, apart from looking cool etc, is that you can have a shorter barrel and a more manageable OAL.

The main benefit is gained when using subsonic ammo though.

The rifle in the pic has a 14" barrel and is roughly the same length as a 24" rifle, so to apply the same to a regular rifle would mean something overly long.....and that would be unwieldy and also look a bit daft

Here's a link to the original review

http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/wildcatting_338_br

Archived