some pics from the last couple of days

craigyboy

Been having some fun this last couple of days off work. Had an early start this morning at 3:45am, its first light over here about 4:15 am at the minute so I had a bit of time out in the dark to get my new foxpro scoprion setup and also a predator enticer I have (basically a bunch of feathers spun on a little electric motor) I love calling foxes in the daylight, its a lot harder hence why I use the enticer as well, it really helps to have a visual along with sound. This farm is quite hard work as the fields mostly are quite big lined with 3ft wide ditches foxes can be hiding in them watching ukown to you, so you hada be careful, I setup in a corner which backs onto a big valley on the other side, downwind of my caller, with a gusty 20 mph wind blowing.

this is a pic of my setup at first light, feels like you have the whole world to yourself at this time of the morning

DigitalCamera318.jpg

I put the foxpro on "lil" jackrabbit as this farm has piles of hares and it is a very believable sound and turned it up full volume, I let the call run for close to 45 mins which might seem a bit long but on this ground if there are none hiding in the ditches you have to hang on a while, they do come eventually.

I spotted this one coming in upwind heading for my enticer, he was circling around it to try and get downwind but a quick squeak from me and a 40g v-max in the front of the chest stopped him at 200 yards. It dropped him right on the spot, a testament to the performance of the 20 cal bullets on foxes

here is how I found him, his front legs just went from underhim when hit.

DigitalCamera319.jpg

Daylight fox calling does seem to be a bit more equipment intensive but its fun, you get a chance to take it all in, fumbling about in the dark isnt half as much fun.

DigitalCamera320.jpg

I also took this rabbit at 260 yards not long range but by this time the wind had gathered up to 30 mph gusts and I was happy enough at this range, I did take a craic at some long range crows, not thinking I would get close with the wind that was blowing but I had a craic and was suprised, missed a 600 yard crow by about 6 inches of windage and 2 inches of elevation, ill return when its calmer, pretty sure I can nail one at that range in good conditions.

DigitalCamera324.jpg

Also this last few days I have been hammering the wood pigeons, there is about 40 acreas of barley right out the back of my house and latley alot of it has been flattened so the pigeons have been dropping in on it, and being I live up high on a hill I have been able to spot and shoot them no probs, I have lost count of how many I have shot but its has been great fun, ranges have been from 120 yards to about 280 yards, good fun.

heres a pic of the setup

DigitalCamera315.jpg

and heres a pic of the field I have been shooting them in, you can sorta make out the flat spots in the pics

DigitalCamera317.jpg

may the good fun continue for the rest of the week (if the wind and rain would stop)

Stunning location you`ve got there C/B Theres a lot that`d kill to have their own varminting on their doorstep like that.Good on you ;)

I see you chose the Scorpion in the end then.If you do find you need the extra volume Gary stocks a good quality external speaker.Just like having surround sound same as in your living room ;):D

What a place you have there mate ;) , I have a friend up the line who can open the kitchen window and shoot crows and magpies in the field behind, lucky bugger :)

A great set up there. I like the lazy varminting out the window. It should be good for crows and pigeons when the barely is cut.

Well done on the fox, I think day time calling is very exciting as I think its more unpredictable than at night.

Cheers

Dave

Archived