Atlas bi-pods BT10 V8 vs. PSR

Just wondering if there are any opinions out there regarding the Atlas V8 bi-pod compared to the PSR 'upgraded' version of the same thing; in 6"-9"?

The former retails around the £180, whilst the latter is about 100 quid more!

Apparently the design changes were made as a result of US military trials.

Having baulked at the cost and availability of a TRG bi-pod, I've fitted a picatinny 'atlas' adapter to the front of my TRG with a view to fitting an Atlas, and am wondering if there is a great deal of difference between the two Atlas types mentioned above?

Alternatively I could just put a picatinny-to-stud adapter on the Atlas adapter (about £20-ish), and put a Harris on it?

(Note, I formally used a Harris on a stud adapter fitted to the groove under the fore-stock, but this was less than ideal due to cant issues; the vertical separation from the bore axis, hence the need from the Atlas adapter in the first place)

I'd be grateful for any opinions please, from the combined wisdom and experience of the UKV contributors!

Thanks

If you have the atlas spigot mount you won't be able to mount a Harris on it. The rear Spring mounts catch on the stop. If it's the KRG spigot it is a bit longer and prevents this from happening.

I just admit though I had no real issues when using a Harris mounted underneath. I did go to the atlas because I wanted to mount closer to the bore axis. I only use the standard V8 and have no issues. I would keep the £100 in my pocket or look more closely at the Phoenix bi-pod.

If you have the atlas spigot mount you won't be able to mount a Harris on it.

The adapter is a picatinny rail at one end, and the other bolts into the chassis at the front of the TRG, so should be ok using either an atlas with built-in picatinny-style clamp, or picatinny clamp-to-stud adapter with the Harris (Brownell's seem to have lots of these at anything from £20 upwards)

Like you I just want to mount the bi-pod closer to the bore axis.

Thanks for the advice

I've got both v8 and PSR out of the two I rather the PSR, mainly as it doesn't roll away if you really load it up.

Thanks

The adapter is a picatinny rail at one end, and the other bolts into the chassis at the front of the TRG, so should be ok using either an atlas with built-in picatinny-style clamp, or picatinny clamp-to-stud adapter with the Harris (Brownell's seem to have lots of these at anything from £20 upwards)

Like you I just want to mount the bi-pod closer to the bore axis.

Thanks for the advice

I know what the adapter is. Perhaps my rushed reply didn't explain well. The Spring brackets on the Harris will interfere with the TRG stock if using the atlas spigot because it is a very short piece of picatinny rail you can't mount the Harris far enough out.

I know what the adapter is. Perhaps my rushed reply didn't explain well. The Spring brackets on the Harris will interfere with the TRG stock if using the atlas spigot because it is a very short piece of picatinny rail you can't mount the Harris far enough out.

Ok, thanks for that. Fewer option equal less paralysis!

Breacher, it certainly looks sturdy, stable and well made!

I have a question about fitting your bipod adapter though . . .

I was able to fit the atlas adapter by simply removing the plastic fore-stock from the underlying chassis, since the screws that clamp the section of the adapter to the chassis are mounted underneath, and therefore there was no requirement to remove the barrelled-action from the chassis.

On yours, to my eyes at least, it looks as though the fastenings are first passed through the top of the adapter, with the adapter already in place on the chassis, before tightening them up from underneath. This could presumably only be achieved by removal of the barrel from the chassis beforehand; is that correct?

The reason I ask is because I have had trouble removing the whole barrelled-action from its chassis: This operation requires removal of the trigger assembly, and it appears the redesigned safety catch on the newer TRGs (the one I've got) obstructs access to the allen-bolt that holds the trigger-group in place!! The instructions in the TRG manual don't really help here. I can't see a way of removing the pad of the catch from its lever either, which would get round the problem?

There must obviously be a way round this, but I haven't found it yet. If anyone has any ideas, or has encountered similar problems I'd be grateful to hear about a work-around!

Your gear looks really well made and entirely fit for purpose. The description suggests the bipods are slightly extendible, is that correct?

As I understand it, removal of barrel / action is required.

However I just sold one to a TRG owner who, when he looked at the adaptor, reckoned it would be possible without doing so.

Will update asap once he gets back to me.

Yes - pull out on a ratchet to extend. Push button to retract.

Great thanks, I'd be interested to hear . . .

The safety apparently has to be set on 'on' before removing the trigger, its in that position that the obstruction is caused, pushed forward (i.e. 'off') access is fine; I'm just a bit concerned that the safety has to be off for a reason, as it is stipulated. Much scratching of head!

Thanks for the quick response!

Great thanks, I'd be interested to hear . . .

The safety apparently has to be set on 'on' before removing the trigger, its in that position that the obstruction is caused, pushed forward (i.e. 'off') access is fine; I'm just a bit concerned that the safety has to be off for a reason, as it is stipulated. Much scratching of head!

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok - he has fitted it but removed barrel and action.

He did say that if 1mm was taken off the nuts, it might squeeze in without taking off the action.

However, my bipod is built as a heavy duty item - no point weakening the nuts on the adaptor as that would just be a weak link in the chain !

Better to spend the few minutes extra and do it properly.

Upside is, once fitted, it looks like it was part of the chassis to start with - very neat job.

Ok - he has fitted it but removed barrel and action.

He did say that if 1mm was taken off the nuts, it might squeeze in without taking off the action.

However, my bipod is built as a heavy duty item - no point weakening the nuts on the adaptor as that would just be a weak link in the chain !

Better to spend the few minutes extra and do it properly.

Upside is, once fitted, it looks like it was part of the chassis to start with - very neat job.

Just a thought . . .

The bipod mounts onto a picatinny right? Will it not bolt straight on to the Atlas adapter already on my TRG; that would get round the barrelled action removal issue? Admittedly this may add a little more distance between the bipod pivot-point and the bore axis, but it should still be pretty close . . .

Just a thought . . .

The bipod mounts onto a picatinny right? Will it not bolt straight on to the Atlas adapter already on my TRG; that would get round the barrelled action removal issue? Admittedly this may add a little more distance between the bipod pivot-point and the bore axis, but it should still be pretty close . . .

If you mean this sort of adaptor - http://www.accu-shot.com/Installing_the_BT21-Atlas_TRG_Bracket_(ATB).php

Then yes. You can use my adaptor - see website - its the Type B Picatinny Rail Adaptor.

At a guess, you will be within 1.5" of the centre of gravity had you used my dedicated TRG adaptor.

And you will be able to use this adaptor on any of your other rifles with bottom picatinny rail.

Tell you what - give it a bash - if you find it works for you, great. If not, you can always try my TRG spigot later and I will give you a considerable discount when you come back to me for it !! If the adaptor you bought from me is in good nick, I will even take it back in part-ex - cannot say fairer than that.

If you mean this sort of adaptor - http://www.accu-shot.com/Installing_the_BT21-Atlas_TRG_Bracket_(ATB).php

Then yes. You can use my adaptor - see website - its the Type B Picatinny Rail Adaptor.

At a guess, you will be within 1.5" of the centre of gravity had you used my dedicated TRG adaptor.

And you will be able to use this adaptor on any of your other rifles with bottom picatinny rail.

Tell you what - give it a bash - if you find it works for you, great. If not, you can always try my TRG spigot later and I will give you a considerable discount when you come back to me for it !! If the adaptor you bought from me is in good nick, I will even take it back in part-ex - cannot say fairer than that.

Yep that's the one!, thanks!

Archived