223 rounds

Guest brieny1000

Guest brieny1000

hi im new to this site so dont know if im posting in the right place or not?

i am looking for a bit of info on ammo for my tikka t3 lite in 223 with 6-24*50 30mm

swift scope,harris bipod and a well made "edi special " moderator. i have mostly been

using remington express 55gr but have just got some wolf 55gr hp steel case which are very cheap

compared to the remingtons so have no worries about going after rabbits wit them. i have fired about20

rounds of the wolf already before my sights packed in and they grouped very well. i am just wondering

does anyone know anything about these cheap rounds or is it "you get what you pay for" cheers :rolleyes::huh:

hi im new to this site so dont know if im posting in the right place or not?

i am looking for a bit of info on ammo for my tikka t3 lite in 223 with 6-24*50 30mm

swift scope,harris bipod and a well made "edi special " moderator. i have mostly been

using remington express 55gr but have just got some wolf 55gr hp steel case which are very cheap

compared to the remingtons so have no worries about going after rabbits wit them. i have fired about20

rounds of the wolf already before my sights packed in and they grouped very well. i am just wondering

does anyone know anything about these cheap rounds or is it "you get what you pay for" cheers :rolleyes::huh:

You get what you pay for but if they work, they work.

The problem I have with steel cases is that they are... steel! I just don't like running steel cases up along my chamber mouth during the feeding process. That rubbing steel against steel would make all the fuss about using "bore guides" for cleaning moot, wouldn't it?

I know reloading is frowned upon in Ireland, but Lee Precision makes a very fine little loading tool -very basic- that fits in a shoe-box and is very inexpensive. I have pitted one of thes against my best RCBS units and the accuracy edged the RCBS. Save your Remmy brass and...~Andrew

Firstly Welcome to the Site .

Sounds like you have a good rifle package there, as Andrew said steel against steel, this aint a good thing in my eyes if your conserned about the price of ammo , maybe think of going down the reloading rout, you could get your self up and running for under £200 and customize the round to your rifle for much better accuracy and at the quarter of the price.

A keeper mate of mine is paying £24 for 20rnds for his 222, I could load them for around 35p each ,when you start putting alot down the tube it soon saves you money, If you are new to the site there are plenty of us here who will answer any questions you may have on reloads.

Andrew who posted before me , does test round developement in the states for ammo companies and what he dosent know about them isnt worth knowing.

Good luck with it. :rolleyes:

Hi Brieny. I have a T3 varminter with 1 in 12" twist. I have a few load variants you can try that work best in a slow twist if yours is a 1 in 12" and you want to go down the reloading route. Just give me a shout... Most of us here can save you some load development time with the loads we've worked up for our .223s.. :)

Grant..

Paul,

in the long run 50gr hollow point remington umc might be better. Mervin sometimes has them.

The cheap Federal american eagle 50gr hp also shoot very well. And less risk of

damaging the chamber.

As they said save your empties. We might be able to do soemthing with em.

edi

Guest brieny1000

thanks all, what yer saying makes perfect sense,<steel against steel>etc. cheers

for the welcome. from what i have been reading the last few weeks it looks like there

is some amount of know how between the lot of ye.

edi i have a box of the umc in my stock so wil go that way i think. ill keep all the brass alright tho ;)

maybe reloading in the future..thanks again....

how do i find the twist rate of the gun, it has 8" stamped on barell after the caliber.

does this mean 1 in 8?

ps.102 rounds of wolf 223 55 gr for sale...going cheap :):)

Guest varmartin

Hi fella and welcome to the site...

if you just gotta shoot them wolf steel rounds, single load them and feed them into your chamber with your finger if you can.

This will limit any damage, but.......by the time they do cause any damage you will be an avid reloader and looking for a custom barrel any way...so burn that barrel out quick smart :)

• 2 weeks later...
thanks all, what yer saying makes perfect sense,<steel against steel>etc. cheers

for the welcome. from what i have been reading the last few weeks it looks like there

is some amount of know how between the lot of ye.

edi i have a box of the umc in my stock so wil go that way i think. ill keep all the brass alright tho ;)

maybe reloading in the future..thanks again....

how do i find the twist rate of the gun, it has 8" stamped on barell after the caliber.

does this mean 1 in 8?

ps.102 rounds of wolf 223 55 gr for sale...going cheap :lol::lol:

The 8" stamp on the barrel does mean its a 1:8 twist ;)

The wolf ammo shot terribly out of my t3 tactical american eagle hp or the remmie umc are much better if your looking for cheap .223 ammo.

Guest brieny1000
The 8" stamp on the barrel does mean its a 1:8 twist :lol:

The wolf ammo shot terribly out of my t3 tactical american eagle hp or the remmie umc are much better if your looking for cheap .223 ammo.

cheers mark,

im going down the umc line alright

thanks again

hi guys,,pretty good forum,only just joined,and currently working in sunny and dusty iraq,

i recently bought a brand new tikka T3 lite all weather,,bought 2 ,one for use with day scope and one as a dedicated night sight rifle.

i have been reloading for a few yrs now,but with remington rifles, which ive never had a problem with.but since buying the tikkas,i just cant seem to get a good load,so any suggestions from other experienced loaders out there would be most appreciated.

Mick

Hi Mick,

When i bought my new T3, it took quite a few rounds before it would shoot anything like a decent group ( to the point that i was for dumping the rifle, because i thought i'd bought a bad one).

Give it a few outings before you give up on it, mine will now shoot most load combinations and gives pretty good results

hi guys,,pretty good forum,only just joined,and currently working in sunny and dusty iraq,

i recently bought a brand new tikka T3 lite all weather,,bought 2 ,one for use with day scope and one as a dedicated night sight rifle.

i have been reloading for a few yrs now,but with remington rifles, which ive never had a problem with.but since buying the tikkas,i just cant seem to get a good load,so any suggestions from other experienced loaders out there would be most appreciated.

Mick

its a 223,as for what load,been a while as im currently working in iraq,,but either vit 133 or 135 with either 50 or 55 grn v-max,,not 100% sure,,but them componants ring a bell,,but then again,,i do reload for a few rifles i use.,,just looking to see what other guys who use the same rifle ,,might be using,to give me somewhere to start.

its 223 tikka,1-12 twist cheers for the advice,,will try when home.

Your very welcome pard.

I agree with Redfox but I have shot a 1in 9 with 52 A-max at 475yds and it was hitting a 2inch circle at that range. and Silent has shot rabbits beyond that, so it's worth trying lighter loads.

52 Amax is match bullet and ok but not the best in 1-9, hollow points and s/points tend to blow up as the rotation is too fast.

In 1-12 the various lighter bullets are fine, we have two guys here Nigel, one with 1-8 and our other friend with the 1-12s so both should be ok now.

Redfox

Archived