Bedding a recoil lug

Just watched a YouTube video from Gunwerks which advocated bedding the recoil lug on a Remington Sendero (ie in Hs precision stock). I have a Remington PSS so a similar stock with alu bedding block.

Looked relatively simple - would it be a worthwhile exercise?

Mr Dog,

A basic bedding job, if you are reasonably 'handy' and brave is not beyond doing at home. Worth doing to pretty much any rifle IMHO.

There are various bedding compounds avaialble (an interesting subject in itself).

Don't hurry, apply plenty of release agent (clear shoe polish is pretty good) then apply it again for the bit you missed first time :)

Dremelling away the stock to give sufficient thickness of bedding compound in the right areas is probably the most nervous bit, the existing bedding block in your stock is a good basis. Plastacine and masking tape are your friends.

Wrap the outside of the recoil lug right round the action a few times with insulating tape then trim until only the outside edge of the lug is covered, after bedding this tape comes off and gives good radial clearance.

Go for it! Good luck.

Terry

Don't be tempted to pry it apart early either. Let it cure fully.

Don't be tempted to pry it apart early either. Let it cure fully.

This ^^ and then some. If it feels hard to pull apart put the whole thing in a freezer.

T

Do a youtube search for Nathan Foster, he does a series of videos that, if you follow them, will give you great results. I've bedded several rifles with his bedding compound after trying 2 others, and found it very satisfactory. Good luck

Mike

Thanks for all the replies folks.

I don't think I'm skilled or brave enough to try anything other than just bedding the lug itself. The rifle is plenty accurate enough for my needs already, but this just looked a cheap and relatively simple (!) job to do.

What would you suggest to use to bed the lug? Have read of using JB weld (marine version?)

a wise man once said... "all the secrets of bedding are not on you-tube"..

Ha, yes I am 100% sure of that, Gary.

Another wise man once said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". And before I go making a balls up, I am leaning this way!

.....that may be so Gary, but watch the videos first. All i can say is it works if you have a modicum of skill and a few basic tools.

Mike

Archived