Quality spotting scope

Hi all,

I'm just thinking about getting a spotting scope at the moment. Something that's going to see .22 cal sized holes at 300 and 400 yards. I'd like to get a quality scope but money is an issue, though I don't have a specific budget. That's making it easy I know. I guess what I'm really looking for is reccomendations that I can go look at, read up on and see where that will lead me to. I know for certain I am definately not interested in El Cheapo junk, I already have one of those that I got in Aldi or Lidl. Go to 40x and 60x and you start to think it's getting into night time. So, optical quality and performance are high on the list.

Throw a few good suggestions my way please :P

All the best,

John.

Guest northernchris

I use a Grays of Inverness 3 draw on the hill,and till 18 months ago i had a new Swaro 35 x range spotting scope which IMHO was only average :P If i go down the range spotting scope road again it will have to be a Leica :P CHEAP AND GOOD GLASS ARE NEVER USED IN THE SAME SENTANCE.

Hi John

I have a Monox MD50, costs circa £200, they are pretty good for the money, but have to say my PM11 5-25 rifle scope is way better at spotting.

I had the opportunity to look through several spotters at comps over the years, Swarowski, Leica and Zeiss would be my prefferred brands of choice.

Another one would be Meopta, they do a lovely spotter.

Have to agree with northern chris, cheap and good quality are opposites.

You need to decide where you want to go with this one.

Is this a once purchase or are you going to upgrade later making it dearer? :P

I'm getting in the same boat with bino's, upgraded my other kit and now the once good binos are lacking in twilight.

On the rangefinder front I decided I was only buying one so got a Leica and I'm pleased with it. Might get some Leica bins at some point.

I have a Swarovski single draw scope which can be a spotter or also used out and about, they normally come with the 30x eye piece, which is certainly good to 250yds and you can either buy later or instead spec the 20 - 60x eye piece, this will give you all you want,

Mine is the CT75 even better is the CTS 85B which is the later model, these are cheaper to buy than the roof prism units and perform very well.

Redfox

I agree completely that quality and cheap don't go together :P I really only have one reson for getting it. I want to practice out to 300 and 400 yards with my .223. If that goes well I can hold it as an option on foxes and bunnies should the conditions be correct. I don't really want to be walking back and forth to the targets each time I want to check them. In reality it won't be getting regular useage like some of you guys would give say in competitions or if you attend a range regularly - neither of which I do. So saying that I guess I would be looking for a one off purchase, I usually buy stuff twice so it'd make a nice change...

Talk to a few birdwatchers, and pic up some bird mags [no , not readers wives] Them guys dont suffer crap gear, and you will get a better deal, than via a gunshop...they are shifting more.

Talk to a few birdwatchers, and pic up some bird mags [no , not readers wives] Them guys dont suffer crap gear, and you will get a better deal, than via a gunshop...they are shifting more.

Oh yes, I had a browse through some bird watching sites tonight already. A couple even had spotting scopes and bins on them ;) I don't normally ask for advice in gunshops to be honest, I've found they will - as is their business - try to sell you what's in stock, bless'em. I'll have a more indepth look after I get home from work tomorrow.

If the target is dark seeing .22 cal holes with any scope is going to be hard to impossible at 300-400 yards consistently - depending on light. in a white darget, different ball game - possible most of the time depending again on light.

I`ve used an Optolyth TBS 100 with 20-60 zoom (and fixed 70x - for a 80mm objective so about 107x on the 100m) to spot 6.5mm holes in black targets out to 300m - do-able sometimes, but not easy and you need to really "look" not just glance through the scope to see the holes.

Zeiss 85mm scopes are worth a look (piun intended), the Pentax 100m also had good reviews - something on 6mmbr.com as well, and cheaper than Germany stuff.

A good scope is still crap though without a good tripod, for a big job Manfrotto 055 NAT 3 is what I have, but there are never models and for a small job, Ray-Vin or may be better Ewing.

It gets expensive........and heavy,

I`m going to try another way...........USO sn9 scope and bugger the spotting scope and tripod..........still expensive and heavy though. Could also get there with a NXS 12-42x56 and Gene Davis optical doubler or March scope. Just options.

David.

USO do their own spotter too David.

Seen some pics taken through it on the Hide - impressive.

Price is also impressive ;)

Archived