I recently visited the boys at Starlight Night Vision to have the Longbow serviced and updated my spotting equipment at the same time

Below is the Archer monocular with a B/C grade tube & IR Illuminator.

Picture010-2.jpg

This can be used as a spotter or comes with the attachment to fix to the rear of a conventional scope as seen below

Picture012.jpg

As mentioned with already having the Longbow this will be used just as a spotter and although it comes with the smaller lens I opted for the bigger one in the picture below which magnifies up to between 7-8

Picture017.jpg

And attached

Picture015.jpg

The old routine involved first spotting using a lamp and then using the Longbow but now it does away with the lamp completely and doesn`t alert old charlie at all.First night out it was easy to spot and identify targets to 200 yards with the IR really coming into its own.Unfortunately NV its not easy to photograph so I haven`t got any worthwhile pictures

For anyone considering NV its worth a chat with Julian at Starlight who really knows his stuff

http://www.starlightnv.co.uk

When Grasshopper and Tulky were over here I had a look through GH's Archer, some bit of kit alright :lol: We spotted a fox out at 450 yards with the blitz and used the rangefinder. Turned off the lamp and we could still see his eyes ^_^ Looked across a lake in another spot, didn't range it I don't think but the hill across the way was clear as day. I was very impressed.

Felt like throwing my Yukon Digital Ranger *in* the lake after that lol.

I haven't yet looked through the Archer, they do seem to be a nice multi purpose tool. I'm also looking into a NV spotting scope and I'm currently considering the PVS-14.

Wsm what gen is your Archer?

Its a C Grade but borderline B if that makes sense.Its still not a patch on the Longbow Hypergen though

I have taken another step up the ladder and I'm using a gen 3 sight, and although it's better than the Kite it's not in the wow factor better.

I use the same spotting method as you did, find the eyes with a lamp and then use the NV but the most important element of NV is lost.

So I'm looking to do as you have done, but due to very large fields and a lot of acres to cover I need a unit that will spot out to 300 yards and beyond.

Hi WSM

Depending on how much ground I have to cover in a night, dictates which method I use.The white light Blitz when I have a lot of area to cover,then switching to NV for the stalk and shot, and the IR filtered Blitz with the Archer when the going's a bit easier, both with dimmers. Obviously without doubt the complete night vision method makes for better contacts.Great in connection with stink tubes or baited points :lol::D Most shots under 150 yards but with a high grade tube and high powered IR it's quite amazing how far you can shoot , can even wind the Nightforce up to 22x for precise long range shot placement,without any loss of image clarity, not that it's often required

Be careful buddy I've seen several Archer tubes with burn marks on the tube where people have used the IR's for spotting, using them on high intensity for prolonged periods, even on gaited tubes. The best method I have found is with the IR filter on the Blitz, it's amazing how far you can see if the need arises, down side is carrying lamp and battery :(:(

Elwood, would be interested to learn more about your dedicated Gen 3 sight, must be an awesome piece of kit to say it is better than a Kite, did you ever manage to sell your's ?? a good friend of mine has recently bought a PVS-14 and he swears by it, not had a chance to view it yet, but when I do I'll let you know how it compares :lol:

Cheers Steve

Hi WSM

hi alll

try clive ward at nvscopes.com

i have one of his hypergen 731 scopes,with a quauter moon and starlight you can see rabbits in a short grass field at 400 yds

with no ir illuminator, no problem.

ir only used for the darkest areas ie looking for a fox in a dark hedge line on a black night, with no ambient light.

Archived