Pulsar Recon 870

David Hancock

I've just dipped my wallet into the world of NV as I wanted a spotter on a budget and come back from an overgrown permission and its first night out - the place is so overgrown it's fox heaven but I've had to clear baitpoints to ensure clear and safe shooting.

I do not want to be swopping scopes with NV and back.

Nothing was happening on the land I am permitted to shoot apart from rabbits flitting in and out of the brambles, so I sat in a gap in the hedge and just scanned across two pasture fields where I don't have permission.

With no IR, I could pick up rabbits at 100 yards - which for me, is acceptable for the Pulsar. With a NM400 IR added, I was picking up sheep's eyes at 200 and rabbits at 150.

Sod's law then happened when two foxes appeared at 50 / 60 yards following the hedgeline from behind the sheep. Not my permission and attempting to call them in would lose them in the wilderness on my side so I just watched as they traversed the fence unaware I was there. I'm going to have to speak to the sheep farmer I reckon.

The Pulsar seems well made with a rubberised finish, hand size so convenient, is very easy to use - though a little illuminated ring around the on/ off button would be of assistance. Visibility without any IR is good, the optional colour option modes giving b/w, red and green options are easy to toggle and the brightness wheel easy to find and effective. The magnification is easy to change whilst viewing but is in focus from 40 to 80 yards without the need for any fine adjustment.

Battery life with the supplied AA's was an hour.

For £330, the Pulsar is a good piece of kit IMHO.

david your spot on about the pulsar they are excellent value for money if you get a chance though try a black sun ir when i had my 550 i used a doubled t20 and i could clearly identify foxes out to 350-400

to be honest i used to use a doubled photon but took it off and now just use the spotter and a scope mounted t38 for the shot it seems way more successful for me ! its how i started with nv and seem to have gone back !

hiya al i have had an x870 for a few months now recon about june time and i run it with a t67 with a black sun ir ,i upgraded from an 550r WOW what a difference what you want to know ?

My main question would be is the OLED display worth the extra money?

My main question would be is the OLED display worth the extra money?

OH YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its another world bud stick a decent illuminator on it as well ;) ,im normally as tight as a ducks !!!! and thought long and hard about the upgrade because of the costs but NO REGRETS AT ALL ,im in sw scotland out in the sticks ,your welcome to come and have a bit of a look first if you like ?

OH YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its another world bud stick a decent illuminator on it as well ;) ,im normally as tight as a ducks !!!! and thought long and hard about the upgrade because of the costs but NO REGRETS AT ALL ,im in sw scotland out in the sticks ,your welcome to come and have a bit of a look first if you like ?

Thanks for the info and the offer :)

Hi, I'll add my fondness for the x870 to the list. I've had one for about 6 months and use a t20ir with it. I'd say I'm only starting to get the best out of it now as the shorter days darker nights are here and I'm using it more, but I'd say it's good for picking out a fox up to 200 and eye shine to probably 250. For the money it's a good peice of kit

Archived