which nightforce scope

nearly there

Hi all,I'm yet again looking for advice.I like nightforce scopes and recently saved enough to buy a decent one.its for 1000yds.what model do yous recommend.it must have big chunky turret dials,zero return function and illuminated reticle,I like mill dot but not a must.thanks

The 'classic' NF for 1000y was the 12-42 Bench Rest usually with the fairly fine cross hair options of the R2,or RR models. 8-32 also available,but you really can't have too much magnification especially as distance increases, eg if your aim mark is a half minute of angle circle. at 1000y...and a fine cross hair,so as not to obscure it-that can cost you a couple of inches on group size.That said,reticule choice has some subjective element.And mag relates to target size too-and how precise you need to be.

The BR models did not have side focus-only an inconvenience if you are needing to shift fairly quickly between distances.he NXS models do have this,and optional zero stop.Most NFs have illumination.

All have industry standard rugged but repeatable turrets.Great warranty,though it's return to US-not often needed.Used models are now under £1000.Some say the glass is not top Euro quality-but do you really need that,as Euro mostly won't have the mag range top end,and that is better for the 1000yard shooter.If there is any trend away from Night Force-they have the improved spec ATACR and BEAST models now-it's to even more mag,as in the March scopes.

I am a little biased,but also a user,with four NFs as above and the 12-42 is my long range scope of choice when precision sighting and adjustment are needed,especially with small targets (1/2 moa-you simply have to be aable to see them,though hitting them is a rifle/cartridge issue!). I have the double dot ret too,but that lacks a bit of versatility for intermediate ranges,where morehash marks can help-but the DD is popular,maybe in reduced mag,and shorter range varminting-it is simple and clear.You might need hold over or dialing of course,if neither dot is spot on for the shot distance...or near enough-not an issue for short ranges.

If at all possible,try the options-but many many 1000y shooters have used the big NF scopes.

Depends if you want to do other things with it. For that distance and with a bit of long range pest control the 8x32x56 NSX would be my choice but with NP2DD or CH3 reticule. There are newer models with higher specs and I expect higher prices but the 55x competition line do not have illuminated rets, not seen or used those so leave it to others to comment.

Personally I use a 5.5 x 22 x 50 but dont shoot at anywhere near those distances. 300 yards is about as far as I go normally. Looks like NP2DD is not in the new models but you can see it here, the center dot is superb for short range BR competition work.

http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/ReticleManual.pdf

A

I used to use the 8x32x56 model but found that there was not enough magnification for 1000 yds.

I now use the 15x55x52 Competition model. The difference in what you can see at 40 to 55 times mag is incredible.

You can't see the bullet hole at 1000 yds with 32 power but you can at 40+ power!

The competition model has all you want for except illumination, but why do you need that anyway as you won't be shooting at 1000 yds in the dark.

I use the moar reticle which ties in nicely should you wish to hold off rather than dial windage as 1000 yd F-Class targets are in moa.

Hope this helps.

I haven't got local access to 1000yds but shoot 600 quite often incl today.

I was using an ATAC-R on max (25X) today and didn't feel in any way hampered but that's def not 1000yds. I had a few shots through my son's F-TR gun with an 8-32 NXS and couldn't say I felt limited by the 25X on mine. The better glass in the ATAC-R does make a slight difference I guess.

BTW, was shooting his yesterday to try out some 155 TMKs. Loaded ten rounds only with 45grs of AR-2208 (Varget) 0.2mm off the throat and here's what we got:

2208%20155TMKs_zpsv3tlnflj.jpg

Given the -horrible- rest setup including a lead rear bag that was walking and sinking everywhere, it's not too bad. The last 4-shot group had an ES of 10 exactly and an av vel of 2948. Vel is a bit light for a 32" bbl. Hopeless sample size I know but it's pretty reasonable

Like Justin Credible I've just bought a Nightforce Competion. I also have a 12-42x56 NF but the Competition is even better than that. The ED glass gives a really bright image all the way up to maximum magnification.

Archived