new rifle

hi all

have been thinking about a new rifle for some time now and would appreciate some help as the more you look into it the more there is available :wacko:

only thing I'm sure about so far are calibre 22-250AI pretty set on a surgeon action spoke to the guys at syss they have them in stock so hopefully when i decide on the other bits baldie might put it together for me :blink: already have a Jewell trigger not so sure on stock like the look of mcmillan A5 adj integral cheek piece but would consider others, barrel were do you start theirs half a dozen been mentioned on this site alone that people recommend any advice on twist rates,contour,fluted or not would be appreciated i intend to use this rifle just for my varmint shooting mostly from a vehicle so weight not a problem will be using bullets in the

50 to 60 gn range that should get the ball rolling for now thanks in advance simon.

Bramble,

Here is mine buddy after i finished the stock in black.

rifle_photo.jpg

22-250 Ackley Improved.

Stiller Predator Action Polished.

25" Lilja S/S Sendero contour 1-14 twist Fluted barrel Polished.

Blended Vais Muzzle Brake.

Rifle Basix LV1 Trigger set at 12oz.

Pillar Bedded into a Mcmillan Marksman Stock.

Custom Billet Aluminium Trigger Guard.

Custom Polished S/S Domed Socket Head Action Screws.

Stock Sprayed in Matt Black Plastic Epoxy Finish.

Mounts are Two Leupold, Remington Front Rotary Dovetail bases.

Leupold High 30mm Rotary Dovetail Rings.

Leupold VX111 6.5-20x50 LRT Scope

All Built by Yours Truely :D

I started this project with the intention of fireing light bullets fast, hence the 1-14 twist, the muzzle brake was fitted in order to observe bullet impact through the scope and it works spectacularly well.

After having poor fireforming reults with handloads made up with Norma Brass i switched to Nosler Custom Brass and had excellent results with good sharp shoulders after one firing.

Fireforming loads consisted of 34.5grn charges of Vit 140 behind either 55grn Bergers or 53grn SMK's.

After much experimentation i have settled on an Ackley load of 41.8grns of Vit550 driving a Berger 55grn Varmint match bullet at 3960fps giving 5 shot groups of 1/4-1/3 moa @100yds if i steer it properly.

All loads are assembled on L.E. Wilson hand dies and Sinclair Arbour press.

Ian.

About time we saw a pic of that babe ian.....and very nice it is too. :D

BB, if you fancy a lilja, like that or anything else they do, we have an export license , and account with them, in fact we have some due i think. As we said on the phone, we have surgeons in stock, and if you are going the mag fed route, they are superb, i,ve barrelled two this last week. There are also 50 lawtons due, if you fancy something a little cheaper, and they will be stainless. Excellent actions too.

baldie have made my mind up on the surgeon would like it mag fed have a Jewell trigger on the remmy vssf i shoot now so hopefully it'll go straight on the surgeon how do lilja barrels compare with pac nor,border ect,ect, for price and quality what about wild dog stocks compared to McMillan's price quality and availability .

so many decisions it's doing my head in :ph34r: there's nothing wrong my vssf but you just have to have new toys :)

Mag feeding a surgeon is no problem, we now have a new floorplate out, that works perfectly.

Lilja are excellent barrels, and to be honest are just the same as pac-nor, border, krieger etc...its purely down to personal preference.Personally, i would be happy to use whatever was available at the time, from any of the top brands, apart from walther...i just dont like them.We have just got some borders today, and there are some truflite, kriegers, and bartliens due anyday, plus the lilja,s.

Wilddogs are different to mcmillans in every aspect, you would really have to see one.I have both, and prefer the mac,s , but the wilddogs are better made, the macs are better fitting, for me personally.

Archived