brass trimming - how much is too much??

foxyloxy

post-11318-0-75263500-1444839960_thumb.jpg

This is the first time I've reduced a picture to under 1.46 Mb so bare with me....

Above (I hope), is a pic of 50 no 2x fired Lapua 260 ack brass measured and separated. Now.. What would you do?

Shortest piece measures 2.012" and longest is 2.025" so quite a variation. The biggest group measures in at 2.016". Would you set aside say the ones shorter than 2.016" for foulers & trim the longer ones down to 2.016 or maybe separate them into 2 "groups" say up to and including 2.016" & greater that 2.016"?

To trim them all to 2.012" is quite a bit of trimming I reckon.

THEN would it be common practice to separate the pieces into different weight categories?

Thanks in advance folks.

I shoot std 260 Rem cases with a variety of case lengths. I only trim when they get to 2.027 inches. Less than that, I just ignore them. There's an odd case rattling around at around 2.012 in one of the batches. Hopefully it will grow in time.

Given you are working with 260 Ackley cases, I'd suggest going for a 2.020 inch trim length.

I like to touch the brass as little as possible and I never weigh the Nosler or Lapua brass.

Best regards

JCS

Archived