Anyone have experience with 6x47SM?

CZ Varminter

As above trying to get anyone's experience with any load data for this cal.

Trying Vit n140 around 34-35gr shooting various, ideally a 95-105 gr projectile. The barrel is a 1-9twist I believe.

Any help or inFo would be massively appreciated.

CZV

Hi,

I also have a LW barrel in 6x47 SM although a 6.5x47L barrel is demanding more attention currently. Vince "The Gun Pimp" is probably one of the authorities on this calibre in the UK but many others shoot 6x47 Lapua which is very similar but with small rifle primers and a slightly larger case volume, which should help you with starting loads. The large rifle primer in the RUAG cases helps to identify excessively high chamber pressure.

The 6x47 SM was tested over here in various gun magazines when it appeared and I still have the articles with load data if you are interested. There are some references for loads with N140 but my experience is limited to N150 and Hodgdon H4350, always for 105s (Berger VLD, Hornady AMAX & Lapua Scenar Silver) or SMKs in 107 Grains.

Didn't own a chrono then, but typical loads are listed below. Testing was at 300m:

Hornady AMAX 105 33/34 gr N150 Accuary was disappointing - load probably too low

Hornady AMAX 105 36-38.5 gr H4350 Found a great node at 36.5 gr with OAL = 66.7mm

Lapua Scenar 105 33-35 gr N150. Generally satisfactory groups with OAL = 67.3mm

Lapua Scenar 105 35.5-38.5 gr H4350. Best grouping around 37.5 gr

Berger 105 VLD 105, both standard (36.5-38 gr) and moly (37.0-38.5gr). OAL = 67.7mm. The best results on par, both with or without moly.

With the 6x47L and the 6XC out there, the 6x47SM never became a star, but it is still an attractive starlet and great fun to shoot F-Class at Bisley.

Send me a PM if you would like some scans of the data or groups. Would also be interested to hear about the history of the rifle since my assumption is that it was probably bought used.

ATB,

Bianchi

Yup - had a Swiss Match or two - but, to really make it sing you need to form the cases from 6.5x47 Lapua (one pass through the body-die) - that small primer really takes the pressure and gives c.3200fps with 105gn bullets and Elcho 17/Reloader 17 powder.

The original Swiss Match ammo is downloaded to match the performance of the 6BR as it was designed as an alternative for the 300m 3P shooters.

• 9 months later...

Archived