Sending fire arms

sandtrap

A certain RFD is Suffolk insisted that I could send a rifle (firearm ) to him via parcel force !, not involving an RFD at my end . im sure this is not the case !

looking on parcel force website it states they are prohibited ... I know that RFDs do use parcel force but not Joe public !

almost don't need to ask this question but am I right ?

Hi Yes you can as long it is a registered firearm courier. It can only be done this way if it is for repair only. Gun smith normally arranges this, for pick up from your home, and return. You send prove of Fire Arm Cert to gunsmith so he can complete paper work. Hope this helps.

Jim

Not quite. You can send a firearm (for any reason) by any Royal Mail 24hr service as long as it's to an RFD.

Guns for sporting use

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms,

low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms.

Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted.

When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/business/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

You as a non-RFD can send in the post as long as the carrier will accept it. Parcel Force may but sometimes they will insist you have an account first. Not sure about TNT or PAR Freight, they both take firearms but I don't know if they require an account first.

The receiving RFD can arrange for collection from you if they have an account. I know Parcel Force will arrive with shipping labels if you haven't got any printed.

Only the receiver has to be an RFD. When/if your firearm comes back to you it'll have to be via a local RFD again.

Check out the distance selling advice from BASC, search the BASC.org.uk site for "remote firearms transfers".

It will tell you how you can send and receive as well as advice on the procedure for distance selling of firearms (including shotguns).

Not quite. You can send a firearm (for any reason) by any Royal Mail 24hr service as long as it's to an RFD.

Guns for sporting use

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms,

low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms.

Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted.

When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/business/prohibitedgoods

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The sender’s name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

This is correct, I sent a rifle action to the Proof House via this service. Be aware that there are limitations on the physical size of the package, so you may want to take it out of the stock. Also not all Post Offices will accept firearms. I took mine to Bridge Street in Ellon, the sub-Post Office in Maud could not take it for some obscure reason. It's worthwhile enclosing a copy of your FAC, also download and print off the Royal Mail leaflets as most Post Office counter staff have not got a clue what a Section 1 firearm is. Have your FAC with you as well.

This is correct, I sent a rifle action to the Proof House via this service. Be aware that there are limitations on the physical size of the package, so you may want to take it out of the stock. Also not all Post Offices will accept firearms. I took mine to Bridge Street in Ellon, the sub-Post Office in Maud could not take it for some obscure reason. It's worthwhile enclosing a copy of your FAC, also download and print off the Royal Mail leaflets as most Post Office counter staff have not got a clue what a Section 1 firearm is. Have your FAC with you as well.

Cheers .. Ill take it to Ellon then ! Mintlaw is my local but id bet my last bullet they wont take it .

You don't use ParcelFarce (you need to have an account to use them), just take it to your Post Office and sent it Royal Mail 1st class recorded or Special Delivery, don't use the ParcelForce services.

Thank you ... I have now found the answer http://www.royalmail.com/business/help/sending/prohibited-goods

it will be sent Monday via royal mail

Archived