Krico .222

tonker

Hi guys, My first post on here as I'm a newbie, so hello all.

I'll start off buy annoying some straight away, by asking a question.

I have a krico 600 series stutzen (Mannlicher stock) and have had it for about 15 years.

whilst it has been ok for fox shooting in the time I've had it, it has never been brilliant for a tight group.

When I opted for the triple, I did so because I was told they were inherently accurate.

Whilst trying to improve my groups, I have bought many different makes of shop bought, and tried many different bullets and powder/weight combo's in home loads. But try as I can I can't get a three shot group better than an inch at a 100yds. I once had a 5 shot group through a thumbnail but don't know how I did it :angry:

I was at the rfd's the other day and was told I was doing well with a stutzen/mannlicher stock as they weren't very accurate. I always thought krico's were a good rifle? Have any of you out there got one of these?

and whilst an 1'' 1 1/2'' is good enough for foxing, we all strive for better don't we. It could always be my shooting though :unsure:

Any thoughts ?

I've a feeling that the configuration of the stock does not allow for a free floating barrel, introducing stresses along its whole length thus explaining the inherent inaccuracy of stutzen designs. Much as they are aesthetically pleasing it would not be a design that one would choose for its accuracy potential. Might you need to consider changing the stock?

Best wishes

Finman

Hi , Krico rifles are built very well and the accuracy is usually very good

But as your RFD has said I think your doing well with one inch groups out of a stutzen with fore end pressure

And that long piece of stock that can move about/twist with moisture, thermal movement

I own a Krico in .222 and it bug holes with 40 and 50gr bullets ( hand loaded) not factory

Mine was built in the 60s the barrel has some pitting and out of a 5 shot group most will go through the same hole

But always get a flyer witch makes the group 1inch , mine is a rare Deluxe Comanche made for the American market

And it's a sporter not a stutzen

FC80BE33-F51B-41A5-9CB1-2C9DDDAABCEB_zps

Finman & rem700.

Thank you for your replies. I suppose the rfd was correct in what he was saying then, with you backing up what he said, perhaps I was expecting too much of myself and the gun. The 2 loads I have found the best were, 50gr sierra spitzer 1340's over 19gr of H 4198

and 52gr A-max over 23gr N133. Have you a pet load for yours?

Here's a pic or two of mine without the mod.

post-14492-0-03280200-1442265079_thumb.jpg

post-14492-0-09587400-1442265229_thumb.jpg

Hi Tonka

Nice looking stutzen you don't see many with a mod

Yours is even older than mine as you have the double trigger

Some folk do try an accurize there stutzens some bed the rear of the action

So the fore end pressure is more constant, some try and releave the fore end pressure (not free floating it )

And some try and pack the end of the stock to give more fore end pressure

I have seen a screw/bolt fitted through the stock an inch or so from the end so it can be screwed in or out to fine tune

A given load, I suppose essentially altering the harmonics of the barrel

rem 700, thanks for that, I maybe try any of the first three suggestions, but I will probably not try the last as like the gun looking as it is, unless I can disguise it a bit.

Have you any idea of how I can tell the age of the rifle please, as there seems to be precious little on the net?

hi Tonka welcome to the forum nice looking krico as finman said its down to your stock but your krico isn't a target rifle its for hunting I wouldn't be bothered about group,s I had a sako stutzon years ago that wouldn't hold a group but I never missed with it while foxing and deer its the first shot that counts remember your not putting a 10 shot group in on a fox or rabbit so I wouldn't be to bothered keep it and enjoy it its a superb rifle regards dave.

hi Tonka welcome to the forum nice looking krico as finman said its down to your stock but your krico isn't a target rifle its for hunting I wouldn't be bothered about group,s I had a sako stutzon years ago that wouldn't hold a group but I never missed with it while foxing and deer its the first shot that counts remember your not putting a 10 shot group in on a fox or rabbit so I wouldn't be to bothered keep it and enjoy it its a superb rifle regards dave.

Tonka the info that I do have on Krico rifles has all come from old advertising that I

Buy/ look at via eBay they come up now and then , there is a few on there today and one advertising a stutzen,1958 just search for (Krico)

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a krico .22lr stutzen in Canada about 8 weeks ago that was a tack driver at 100yds

stutzens can be fussy just like any other rifle, but they can also be very accurate

have you tried lighter or heavier bullets?

have you tried shorter bullets?

having moved from a 1:14" BRNO that would shoot 1/2MOA with anything from 40 -60gr I upgraded it to a Sako that really struggled with any of the longer bullets

sadly this included the 52gr Amax but shoots a soft point flat base 60gr no problem at all

I am talking spiralling holes and 4-5" groups

pulling the tips out of the Amax to prove a point it will shoot them inside an inch

your 1:14" may not like the longer Amax

I now run 45gr scierra flat base soft points and they shoot very well

also found using H322 that the group change per charge level was a much more dramatic jump from poor to excellent than I get from using VV N133

45gr Scierra over 21.8 H322

image1_zpsobrvinod.jpg

I also use Hornady 60gr SP "Varmint" over 20.8gr N133

52gr Amax was great in the BRNO over 22.6gr N133

Archived