6mmpc loads

527vamint

OK I have a 6mmppc 1/12" sako 75. The rifle is new to me.I have several different lots of load data that came with it and around 150 cases sako 6mmpc USA.

The rifle is mainly for target 100-300m

And fox with the relevant conditions for deer if I can get the loads right.

Basically I would like a target - fox round and a 100g small deer round.

According to the info that came with it

26g and 27g h335,55g nozler are good.

26.5g h335,70g sierra hpbt very accurate.

23.2g h335,100g Sierra splitzer BT are poor.

So any recommendations would be greatfully received.

Cheers Andy.

I used 65gr Vmax with 29.5gr vit N133 gave 3330 fps great round, you won't find a more accurate calibre out to 300 yards than the 6ppc!!

Have a look in the favourite home loads in the hand loading section.

Andy,the (Sako) 6PPC usually delivers outstanding accuracy with the better 66-68 Target bullets-Berger 68 is a Bench Rest favourite load (V 133). The 1/12 will probably shoot the 55g pretty well,but these lose something as out and out target accuracy accuracy loads-1/2 moa,occasionally a few shots into 1/4 moa is not unusual with 68s. The Hornady V max -Varmint- would be good fox bullets too-65g eg,or heavier).

The cartridge is a bit more problematic as a roe size round-the 100g won't stabilise often (as your load data suggest)-the better options for a bullet with suitable construction-and that matters for deer- is something like the Speer 90g,which can be made legal,and suitable.Those would be good fox loads too-see what actual users recommend-but (roe) deer deserve the heavier options (subject to the slowish 1/12 twist),not 'varmint' designs (like the Speer TNT 70g-fragment too easily).

gbal

I only use my 6 mm PPC USA for target, though the person I brought it off used it for vermin, mainly fox, control.

For target at the mo, I use the 70 gr SMK with 29.0 gr of IMR 8208 XBR. Near the top of the loading tree I know, but it gives the best accuracy with no pressure signs. I've got some stuff loaded with N130, but haven't tested this yet. Need to get some N133 and Bart's match grade bullets (Spud1967 sells them), but as before, haven't got round to it as of yet.

Due to the rifle's twist, 1:14", the selection of bullets I can use is rather small. Probably rebarrel it at some point to a faster twist, 1:10" or 1:8" and use heavier bullets. More likely the latter twist and using 90-95 gr heads as it doesn't have the capacity of the 6 mm BR, or improved series of BR cases, so the velocity gets a bit low.

Blue Boy--, I doubt that you will get better target accuracy with heavier bullets (especially if not match grade).

The classic accuracy Bench Rest bullets tend to be 66-68 grain,at least for 100 and 200y precision.You should though see some benefits from out and out match bullets-like the Bergers,or any of the custom match ones (not all readily available),but Berger's are.Bart too,as you mention.

I would not worry much about absolute velocity,rather be guided by the veteran Bench Rester "If they all go throug the same hole,who cares about the speed?" Within a 150 + fps or so,it won't matter to paper or varmint,if your getting sub .5 moa groups.

You are correct about the case limits of the PPC;one very clear reason why at 300y+ ,the BR case takes over (30BR just has a bigger line catching hole and very popular at 300y score shooting,but the 6BR is way more versatile in the appropriate twist,all the way to 1000y,especially in nice conditions.)

But it will be interesting to see just what performance you can get with the heavier bullets.

gbal

Blue Boy--, I doubt that you will get better target accuracy with heavier bullets (especially if not match grade).

The classic accuracy Bench Rest bullets tend to be 66-68 grain,at least for 100 and 200y precision.You should though see some benefits from out and out match bullets-like the BErgers,or any of the custom match ones (not all readily available),but Berger's are.

I would not worry much about absolute velocity,but be guidedby the veteran Bench Rester "If they all go throug the same hole,who cares about the speed?" Within a 150 + fps or so,it won't matter to paper or varmint,if your getting sub .5 moa groups.

You are correct about the case limits of the PPC;one very clear reason why at 300y+ ,the BR case takes over (30BR just has a bigger line catching hole and very popular at 300y score shooting,but the 6BR is way more versatile in the appropriate twist,all the way to 1000y,especially in nice conditions.)

But it will be interesting to see just what performance you can get with the heavier bullets.

gbal

It's more for variation and choice of bullet. The present 1:14" barrel (a Border) doesn't give me much choice at the present. When, and only when its shot out, I will change it; which doesn't seem to be very close at the mo.

Only three of their lighter match bullets are suitable for 1:14; 62 gr Match Euwin BR Target, 64 gr Match BR Column Target and the 65 gr Match WEB BR Target. Neither 65 gr Match BT Target or 68 gr Match FB Target are suitable, the former weird as that was what came with the rifle? None of their varmint bullets are suitable for the rifle. A 1:10" will give me access to most of the range upto 95 gr, though a few 95 gr bullets require 1:9".

Going by reloading manuals and Quickload, you can get pretty descent speeds out of most heavier bullets (up to 95 gr), mainly as the case is very efficient. I'm not in to competition, so the fact its a little slower than the 6 mm BR and BR-based cases doesn't bother me one iota. Plus, I have no intension of firing further than 600 yards.

Yep, if I do my bit, I consitantly get sub 0.5 MOA groups, so a few fps won't make much difference up to 300 yards..

BB,generally,what is sensible is one bullet (per applicaton,perhaps) that performs is enough-bu it would be a rare 6PPC that did not shoot at least one Berger bullet pretty well,especially if you are not target competitive.Have you excluded any of the three (web,column,euwin) by actual testing?

600y is a very long way for a 6PPC,though it will just about 'plink' that far. Sometimes marginal twists work,though it gets a close run thing with bullet design-see Bergers twist rate assessor,and check out Accurate shooter 6PPC site for alternatives....Berger have clearly changed their range....ah well,the old ones work for me,and a few boxes left.

The Sako varmint 75 was sometimes shot well at (factory) bench rest,and aggregated under .5,though seldom was consistent enough for successive 5 shots in half that...3 shots,yes.(Match bullets).Good luck.

gbal

If your right that's great,I have some 70g 6mm copper jacketed lead projectiles- Bullets

Thanks

Sako used to produce the "Sako Cartridges Datatable". This listed the bullet, powder, powder charge, external ballistic data (trajectory, velocity decay, energy decay) and other bits a bobs. The 2010 version lists both the 22 PPC USA and the 6 mm PPC USA. The data given comes from there.

Have a 6ppc myself with a 1 in 12 barrel.

Using vit n133 anything from 65 gr vmax to 66 and 68 gr Bergers my load is 29.5 gr.

For 58gr vmax it prefers 28.8 gr n133. Don't know why.

For 75 gr vmax 25.2 gr.

And for 80gr bergers, 24.4gr n133 appears best for me.

But 65 to 68 gr probably best results.

Archived