Magazine feed problem...

U108294

Hi,

I have. McMillan A5 stock pillar bedded for a Remington 700 SA and inletted by McM for a BO M5 DBM. I installed the action/barrel myself and I'm having feed problems with both MDT polymer and AI metal mags...

Everything on the outside looks flush and tight but the bolt seemed to ride over the base of the rounds, not every cycle but typically the first 2-3 And the last 2-3 of a 10 round magazine. It's a real pain...

The mags themselves don't feel positively engaged, there's always a bit more upward movement, maybe 2-3mm and the feed cycle feels quite jerky, not as slick as I would have imagined. The COL on my 308s is 71.1mm. I don't like fiddling with live rounds in the mag, cycling the bolt and I'm at a loss to see what's causing the problem.

Any gurus out there have any ideas? I've heard of folks flaring the shoulders of the AI mags but I don't know if that's an effective fix.

Cheers...

I had the same problem,

But I can speak from experience with .308 in AI.....we never put more than 8 rounds in a AI mag in the old .308. And that was mil spec.

My .22-250 was doing a similar thing but the rounds were dipping forward in the load. Opening up the feed lips apparently will help. But I brought a 5 round mag which solves this issue.

Not a guru in any way shape or form but I had a similar problem with my R700 SA in a McM A5 that was resolved by bending the feed lips of the AI magazine. I subsequently saw a YouTube video by stockys stocks about the m5 bottom metal that described milling away the central stub of metal at the back of the mag well to allow the magazine to rise up into the correct position. I am sure he said something that this metal was used only in ADL format. This seems to me to make sense but like I say, I ain't no guru!!

Nothing wrong with the mags. The floor plate has been installed too low.

The only easy fix is to lengthen the mag release to push the mag further up inside the floor plate.

The mags should sit up against the bottom of the action.

Make yourself a couple of dummies and fit the mag. Apply upward pressure to the mag and cycle the action. You will instantly understand.

Take it to a british gunsmith who knows what he's doing..... :D

The last thing I'd do is bend around on the feed lips.

Like Baldie said, either bring the mag system higher or make a longer mag release catch. Mag needs click into a higher position.

At a last resort one can forge the catch longer (if steel) and re-shape. 2-3mm might be a little too long for that though.

edi

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm reassured I'm not alone with this one...

I'll pencil mark a mag, at it's natural seating height, then "positively" seat it and mark it a second time to see what the gap is. I guess there needs to be a small gap between the bolt and the mag shoulders to avoid interference but it needs to be tighter than it is.

The only elegant/ugly solutions to me seem to be

1. a longer magazine catch/tang/sear. Can that be made separately or do I need to strip out the bottom metal?

2. modded mags, with the locating lug extended down to push the mag up. Could bedding compound do that?

Thanks again...

never had an issue , riflecraft did my work.

I would advise against modifying the mags , modify the rifle to suit standard mags that way you can get more mags easily or even borrow some at a comp if required etc

You are only half an hour from Neil McKillop's place near Reading, so there is another elegant solution!

I've visited Neil in the past, as you say he's half an hour away.

I suspect that's my best option.

Thanks...

Archived