Pistol powder

caerhays sniper

@Jim

Ii read a term I don't know. What do you exactly mean by the cream of wheat style proces.

Cheers Wiljan

Just wondering the best powder to use for fireformimg using the cream of wheat style process in a 6mm Rem?

Cheers Jim

@Jim

Ii read a term I don't know. What do you exactly mean by the cream of wheat style proces.

Cheers Wiljan

If you google it the process is used to form cases into a new shape using a pistol powder and filler in the case and a wax stopper used to create pressure.

'Cream of Wheat' is an American breakfast cereal used as a space filler in one fireforming method. I've no idea what the domestic equivalent is, but it would have to be milled pretty small to be poured into the case on top of the small pistol powder charge and do the job. Quaker's Porridge Oats?

Everybody I know here who employs bullet-less fireforming simply uses a soft wax plug in the case-mouth / neck without anything between it and the small powder charge leaving a large airspace. It's the Bullseye's (or whatever's) very rapid burn and pressure build up that blows the case-walls maybe 90-95% of the way to a full fireform, the final small degree obtained on the first regular firing with rifle powder and a bullet.

The alternative is bulleted fireforming, but this uses some barrel life outside of load development and final use. If the case-shoulder needs blowing forward as in 6BR to 6BRDX, Dasher etc, either a small false shoulder has to be created in the parent case-neck to headspace on, or more usually a cheapo bullet is seated so it's hard in the lands and the case-head is kept hard up against the bolt. Bullets are sometimes loaded reversed to achieve the jam condition more easily. A slightly faster burning powder in a slightly reduced charge may be employed. The reason for the false shoulder or bullet jam is to ensure the front end of the case expands to suit the chamber without the lower case-body just ahead of the web stretching and weakening the case leading to early separation. This method uses powders and loads close to regular ones - rifle powders not pistol grades.

None of this applies to true Ackley 'Improved' designs as just firing the standard cartridge in the improved chamber does the job and both versions headspace identically. AI or similar improvements often shoot outstandingly well on the fireform shot and so can be used in matches or for 'foxing' or whatever the rifle is used for.

Pistol powder + wax plug (and I assume Cream of Wheat too) forming needs to be done under full range safety conditions. The plug will inflict serious, even fatal injuries at close ranges. I once chronographed the plug on a 6PPC being fireformed and it was doing over 4,000 fps a few feet ahead of the muzzle!

Oh, just remembered - there is a third fireforming method in this case a non-chambering / firing one. Hydraulic forming using a special die (Hornady makes them). Somebody has written about this method on UKV. (Elwood?)

Trail boss is very good and it's really easy to use in conjunction with a cheap bullet. The beauty is you don't need to use cream of wheat, which makes it much quicker to load and without any mess.

If you search 6mm Crusader you will find my method of fire forming 7x57 to 6mm Ackley Improved.

Oh, just remembered - there is a third fireforming method in this case a non-chambering / firing one. Hydraulic forming using a special die (Hornady makes them). Somebody has written about this method on UKV. (Elwood?)

I did a small write up on the Accurate forums Laurie, using a hydraulic form die to convert 284 to 284 Shehane.

Anybody actually seen Cream of Wheat and can describe it? Eaten it even? Thanks for the pointers to where your fireforming reports are Ian.

Laurie is spot on about the wax plugs i fireform my brass at a farm i have permission on, the wax plugs are fairly accurate out to 20yds and make a mess of the target as well as your barrel.i make the wax plugs from melted candle wax with some vegetable oil mixed in [a tip from the gun pimp] i pour the wax into a tin lid about 3-5mm deep let it set and push the case mouth into it of course the case should be kept up right then chamber and fire -clean the barrel every 5 shots.the first time i did this i did it in my garage at home firing into a wooden box filled with old carpet the carpet did its best to catch fire! :o

the first time i did this i did it in my garage at home firing into a wooden box filled with old carpet the carpet did its best to catch fire! :o

Ha Ha!. That would have been a memorable session, Gary. :) Bit noisy too indoors as fireforming the little PPC makes one helluva racket even on Diggle A or D ranges? I remember somebody bringing a tactical rifle chambered for something with a really big case (Cheytac? can't remember now) for fireforming with the wax plug method - it really made a racket!

Imagine Ready Brek that has been liquidised. Or baby food.

It's quite nice.

Hmmm .... I'll take you word for it! :unsure: The description doesn't exactly inspire though. (We need a throwing-up smiley here.)

In the UK, fine semolina is more or less the same thing.

Thanks .... that makes sense. Wow, not eaten semolina since my last 'school dinner' and that was a year or 40 odd ago.

Couscous also works a good filler and is much cleaner than Semolina

Alternative method for a wax plug is a one inch square of toilet tissue pushed into the neck with cotton bud, I form fifty at a time without cleaning.

Couscous also works a good filler and is much cleaner than Semolina

Alternative method for a wax plug is a one inch square of toilet tissue pushed into the neck with cotton bud, I form fifty at a time without cleaning.

thats a method im trying next time-good tip Ian ;)

not the couscous the stuff is like wet saw dust :o

Laurie,the real man's Scotts Porridge Oats is gey rough,nothin' like so smooth as the salt that has to be taken wie it. I dinnae think there is a 'short cut' variety,but ye jist never ken,these days.

Wasted in a rifle,o'course. The auld ear wax seems gey economical,so best use that.

gmcbal

thats a method im trying next time-good tip Ian ;)

not the couscous the stuff is like wet saw dust :o

All that toilet paper blowing around the Pennines. You're even more of an environmental vandal than I thought, Gary. :)

Actually, that's like the old .45 Colt + 250gn lead bullet pistol load with 9gn (I think) Unique that had loo paper used to fill all the empty space twixt charge and bullet base. It came out unburned but completely shredded all over pistol ranges. Club secretaries would pointedly hand a brush and shovel to the miscreants. (John Wayne and Randolph Scott never produced shredded bog paper all over fake Nevada from their 45 cal sixguns when I went to the Saturday matinees at the flicks in the 50s. Talk of loo paper brings a new meaning to the youthful audence shouting 'Behind you!' as the bad guy crept up behind the Lone Ranger and his faithful Indian friend Tonto ........!)

Laurie,the real man's Scotts Porridge Oats is gey rough,nothin' like so smooth as the salt that has to be taken wie it. I dinnae think there is a 'short cut' variety,but ye jist never ken,these days.

Wasted in a rifle,o'course. The auld ear wax seems gey economical,so best use that.

gmcbal

What's with the 'Learn to Speak Welsh in a morning' from this teach yourself anything without hard work book lingo, George? :unsure:

What's with the 'Learn to Speak Welsh in a morning' from this teach yourself anything without hard work book lingo, George? :unsure:

Spent yesterday in the Borders reminiscing with some old shooting pals.

I'll try a whisky tody gargle tonight,see if it helps.

Archived