New TI 3D printed 338LM can tested

Hi Guys ,

Heres some pics of the new 338 can by Oceania Defence Ltd , fired today a few hrs ago , used 3 AI rifles 308, 300WM & 338LM , used with the 2 chamber AI tac brake .

2 cans , one 30cal & one 338 cal .

Data later tointe , once the designer emails the raw data to me .

Both cans use 2 vitron high temp orings .

DSC08821_zpssed4tsoh.jpg

machines are eos270, am250 & slm 3D , and a a heat treating furnace .

I was the shooter only , it was just me & the designer , should get the numbers later today , we shoot quite a bit of ammo thru all guns .

As I understand , their are a version of the AI 338 can with a direct thread made for the Canadian Armies Timberwolf SWS , and if they like it , maybe they will adopt it ( in short they donot like the Reflex type they use at the moment , its giving them headaches , I think this can has a very short amount of can actually in front of the muzzle , so they are after something better ) , also the RMCP are looking at a small QD can for their M4 patrol rifles , so even thou the Canadian civies are not allowed cans , you may see quite a few ODL cans in use in Canada .

So in short they will be available in Canada & the UK & NZ all from New Zealand , and later available in the USA , however due to thier laws , they will be printed in US .

• 2 months later...

Just saw some info from the designer in reguards to strenght etc , the early 3D metal printers used weak Lasers , and as such the items produced had a structure & strenght like castings , ie weak & porous .

The new machines use much more powerful Lasers that fuse the powdered metal fully , and they have same structure & strenght as billet metal .

Go to silencertalk to see what he has to say .

The 338LM model is in the UK right now , and here's a pic of the 300WM can on a scale , its lighter than the estimate , which was 240gm .

DSC08987_zpspfszea6c.jpg

They are not cheap , the 338LM model , being the biggest & heaviest , is $1300 NZD .

The smaller models , should be a bit cheaper , they make some very nice 223 cans made to take the blast from a very short 10 inche barrel , if they can handle that they can handle anything , at that lenght barrel , the pressure is similar to what the 338LM model has to cope with .

I would however , wait a bit and see what ODLs new QD brakes/flash hiders look like , as you may want to go with this rather than a std direct thread on type mount .

Archived