New barrel

Just like to see what you all think.

I've got the chance of a Kreiger barrel at a very good price as a guy I know is ordering a large batch from the States.

Now I thought I would put a blank in stock for my 6mmBR, I know the profile I want and twist, its the length I'm not sure of.

The problem is I want the tube fluted so a finnished length is required so they know where the flutes start and finnish.

My existing tube is 24" now I definitely want to go longer and there lies the problem do I go 26" or 28".

I can get around 25 fps per extra inch predicted by quick load which would mean an extra 100fps with 87Vmax with a 28" tube which would be usefull. The rifle is used just for static varminting so weight is not a problem. Will it make it a bit unweildy, what do you think guys.

My heart pulls towards the 28" but something else tells me the 26" would be more sensible.

It's a bit like having a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other arguing with me in the middle.

Please help

Dave

tweak the nipple of the Angel and then punch her in the mouth, and high five with the Devil ;)

Dave, why does it have to be fluted? if you were worried about the weight I could understand, but as stated you're not. Why not go non fluted and if it's too long at 28 you can always cut it back, or for that matter why not go 30 inches!

Cheers and food for thought. I certainly am a sucker for a fluted barrel ;)

Just spoke to my mate who's ordering barrels he said 26" would be probable way to go as the barrel is stiffer?

Cheers

Dave

I,ve got a 28" on my sako br, and i,m going to fit a fluted 28" to a surgeon next week, for myself [6mmbr again] , get a 28" Dave. I did check the trueflites, and they do a fluted one, but you are already sorted, obviously. One thing, get your mate to check his exporter has the correct paperwork to export barrels, as the american state dept, has just this last week issued new rules and regs, regarding licenses apparently.

Well I think you should get a new barrel in 6mmbr for the Alpine :lol: , I heard that a certain gent was getting some in ;) , do you have to have it put on your ticket or can you hold them without paperwork :lol:

Well I think you should get a new barrel in 6mmbr for the Alpine :lol: , I heard that a certain gent was getting some in ;) , do you have to have it put on your ticket or can you hold them without paperwork :lol:

if it is chambered its on the ticket, if not then its not

ATB

Colin ;)

Have a look at some ballistic software and see what drop/drift differences that extra 100 fps actually makes at the distances you shoot at. Its only about 3% speed wise guessing at your existing velocity. If you are planning to use the rifle from inside a 4x4 at all then you will regret that extra expecially if you add a moddy but from what you are saying I cant see an issue.

A

Just crunched some numbers with Exbal an extra 100 fps with a 105 Berger VLD gives a 2.5 MOA drop advantage at 1000yds.

Reducing the elevation from 28.5MOA to 26MOA so it looks like its worth having.

Cheers

Dave

Just crunched some numbers with Exbal an extra 100 fps with a 105 Berger VLD gives a 2.5 MOA drop advantage at 1000yds.

Cheers

Dave

You can dial that out easily enough, what about drift differences?.

A

Cheers

Dave

You said 100fps gain on 24 to a 28 inch barrel, but I thought you were wondering whether to go 26 or 28? Now you're talking probably less than 50fps loss over the 28", getting into negligible territory if you play with certain loads..Either length will work for you fine, just close your eyes and pick. Or get 1 of each, at the price of the USD now might be worth thinking about, save one to chamber later...

JR

Your right JR I kinda got that 100fps in my head and forgot the answer as you say is 50fps between the 26 and 28". However the 100fps gain over a 24" i think is worth having.

Also if I hate it the flutes are finnished far enough back to take 2" of any way.

The improvement on windage with a 100fps increase is .25 MOA which seems constant out to 1000yds.

Small but as they say every little helps :o

Cheers

Dave

Your right JR I kinda got that 100fps in my head and forgot the answer as you say is 50fps between the 26 and 28". However the 100fps gain over a 24" i think is worth having.

Also if I hate it the flutes are finnished far enough back to take 2" of any way.

Was going to suggest that as well, just finish the flutes short at the muzzle end to leave room to chop back an inch or two if you need. Sounds like a helluva project, the 6br is a good round..One of those 'boringly accurate' rounds..

JR

Thanks JR, just had the chance of a blank at decent money, so I can put it to one side until needed.

I love my 6mmBR and use it for most of my varminting, easy to load and easy to shoot.

Cheers

Dave

, just finish the flutes short at the muzzle end to leave room to chop back an inch or two if you need.

Thats what I did I couldn't decide between 22 or 24 on my stalking rifle so I told them to leave a coupkle of inches unfluted at the muzzle.

Best rgds

B-b

Archived