Help for 243 win and RL 17

jonathan.308

Hi all

Need a little help as looking for a load for my 243 Winchester and would like to try reloader 17, has anybody used reloader 17 with their 243 with a 95 gr and 105 gr heads.

My reloader manuals lists powder faster and slower than Reloader 17 but no information on the 17.

Cheers Jonathan.

I think RL17 will be a bit too fast for this calibre and bullet combination. Going by some data of Nosler's with 85-90 gr bullets, when using RL17, the max charge is only 80% for a full charge (link). This will drop to an even lower level for the 95 and 105 gr bullets. From this info I wouldn't reccomend its use in these combinations. Saying that the Alliant manuals do list RL17 with a few bullets.

Allaint 2009-2015 manuals:

Speer 80 gr SP, RL 17, Fed 210 primer, Federal case, Min OAL 2.615", 44.0 gr max charge

Speer 85 gr HP, RL 17, Fed 210 primer, Federal case, Min OAL 2.625", 43.7 gr max charge

Speer 100 gr BTSP, RL 17, Fed 210 primer, Federal case, Min OAL 2.625", 40.8 gr max charge

You could possibly plot these on a graph (bullet mass against charge mass) and estimate the charges for heavier and lighter bullets. That or try to marry up Quickload with the data above and then use it with the aforementioned 95 and 105 gr bullets.

I'm at work at the mo, but will check my manuals at home to see if any of them list the combination.

I've checked all my manuals (Berger [2012], Lee 2nd Edition [2012], Lyman 49th [2008] and Speer 14th [2007]) and they don't use or list RL17 with heavy bullets in the .243 Winchester. Some may not list it as the powder didn't come out in the US until mid-2008 and some books pre-date its introduction.

I can put the data into Quickload, but you've have to give me the bullet types, average case volume and their COAL so I can get a decent results.

Jonathan - I'm using it (Elcho 17 version) in the 6XC with 105gn bullets for 1000 yard benchrest. Gives a full case and good velocity and accuracy - had a couple of four-inch groups.

The 243 case is a bit bigger but it's worth a try.

I use rl 17 in my savage 243 hunting rifle 22 inch barrel. I use nosler 100 gr PT bullets, and a coal of 3.280 and more powder than the alliant data suggests. I get great accuracy and higher velocity than H4831. Highest velocity of all the powders i've tried. It has a burn speed close to IMR 4350 and a pressure curve very similar to H4831. It is temp sensitive, but not too bad and even less in winter hunting here.

Archived