rebarrel

Hi guys

I got my self a howa 1500 243 with a 20 inch varmint barrel atm i thinking of getting it re barrelled soon in probably 243 again with a 1:8 twist to use the heavy bullets to get out further on the range than my standard 1:10 barrel it start to really struggle about 800 yards and i cant put the heavy bullets through it to get out any further really

im not sure who to go for on a re barrel for a decent price due to being on a budget

my mates got a t3 with a border barrel which is a 1:8 twist and he uses the 105 amax or the bergers and he gets out to a 1000 yards no problem which he just got not long ago and that is very accurate , im very impressed with it

or im thinking something like a .260 but im not just sure what to get as there's plenty of good calibres out there as i want something capable of a 1000 yards plus and a ok barrel life to , and it will be stalking , foxing and range rifle too.

cheers

I re-barreled my Sako 75 in 243 Win to a 1:8 Borders barrel a good number of years ago. It worked well with the 105 A-Max. I do like the 260 Rems though too. If you do look at 260 Rem check that your magazine can go longer than 2.8 inches. With the 140 A-Max my rounds are ~2.9 inches long.

There are lots of interesting options out there. Make a list of the ones you fancy and rate them on what you want to do with them.

Read lots - http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html and then the Cartridge Research tab is very interesting.

Have fun.

JCS

I had a 243 with an 8 twist trueflight tube fitted. It certainly gives more range and flexibility than the 10 twist..

BUT - If I had to do it all over - I would opt for a 6.5 cal such as the 6.5 x 47 Lap -

From seeing this calibre in action , it hits all the right notes. Great barrel life - A fantastic range of high BC bullets and deadly accurate.

ATB

S

Hi guys

I got my self a howa 1500 243 with a 20 inch varmint barrel atm i thinking of getting it re barrelled soon in probably 243 again with a 1:8 twist to use the heavy bullets to get out further on the range than my standard 1:10 barrel it start to really struggle about 800 yards and i cant put the heavy bullets through it to get out any further really

im not sure who to go for on a re barrel for a decent price due to being on a budget

my mates got a t3 with a border barrel which is a 1:8 twist and he uses the 105 amax or the bergers and he gets out to a 1000 yards no problem which he just got not long ago and that is very accurate , im very impressed with it

or im thinking something like a .260 but im not just sure what to get as there's plenty of good calibres out there as i want something capable of a 1000 yards plus and a ok barrel life to , and it will be stalking , foxing and range rifle too.

cheers

I would recommend you go to a longer barrel if you plan the longer distances ihis should get you a few more fps....best advice re cost is shop around and check timescales involved

I would recommend you go to a longer barrel if you plan the longer distances ihis should get you a few more fps....best advice re cost is shop around and check timescales involved

i was thinking of a 24 inch barrel for the gain of some more fps than the 20 inch

i do like the look of the 6.5x47 as well

As you can see from my sig i have both cals and a Howa. Have you got the drop leaf mag or the DBM as the rounds are VLD's and may not fit the box mag to optimise the round?

its just a drop down mag as standard really

I'd speak with Mike Norris and go with his recommendations, he recently did a 243 for me as a varminting rig using a 22" 1:8 Border and it's absolutely superb. The quality of engineering is exceptional as expected and the rifle prints ragged groups out to any range it's likely to need to.

Archived