Serious Malfunction

Mauser3006

I was out shooting bunnies last night with a friend when my CZ Brno's trigger suddenly went a bit floppy in the trigger guard. I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not and I re-cocked the rifle to see if it would still shoot and to my absolute amazement it discharged the round as soon as the bolt was pushed forward and down. Fortunately I instinctively had the rifle pointing in a safe direction. Once I was over my surprise I did it a couple more times and the rifle fired every time the bolt was pushed forward and down to lock.

Whilst I know that this is a possibility with any firearm including shotguns, to actually have it happen has really been a wake up call. I don't think I will ever trust that rifle again, even after I get it repaired and I will certainly be even more cautious when making a rifle ready in the future.

I take it is is a CZ452 you're talking about, not an older Brno?

It's clearly not resetting if it's "floppy"

It's an old rifle I inherited from my Father-in-law, I suspect it's at least 40 years old. Nevertheless I would never have expected such a serious malfunction to occur.

Sounds like a slam fire , probably something

Needs tightenin up would be my guess

The firing pins in these gum up and seize , strip the bolt , clean it and try it again (dry) ,if no joy then clean the trigger out, its possible its never been cleaned correctly in 40 years .

Gunsmith has shown me that the catch on the bolt which is released by the trigger being depressed, allowing the pin forward is smooth and worn away. As such it's effectively written off as it would cost far more to fix than it's worth. Interestingly the gun was made in 1941 so it's 74 years old! I suppose that's a fair one.

Bearing in mind that Czechosolakia had been under German occupation for three years by 1941, I doubt that they'd have been producing .22 rimfire sporting rifles then? 1941 just doesn't seem right somehow.

Archived