AI AT for f class

Ronan

Lads,

I have an AI AT in 22/250 with pm11 5-25-56, interested in starting f class

Was thinking of a 30" fluted 308 barrel & f class bipod ( possible problem with weight ??)

Really like the AI and scope combo

Would it be worth my while staying with the rifle or say going with a dolphin dedicated f class rifle.

I also like the option of going back to the 22/250 for long range varminting which makes the AI ideal.

Would the AI with the right barrel,scope,bipod be competitive

Competitive yes - but would it make FTR weight with the S&B scope? Unlikely.

But, you have an Open Class rifle already - which would be OK out to 600 yards - why not try a few F Class shoots to see if you like it before spending any more money.

Competitive yes - but would it make FTR weight with the S&B scope? Unlikely.

But, you have an Open Class rifle already - which would be OK out to 600 yards - why not try a few F Class shoots to see if you like it before spending any more money.

Can you shoot a 22/250 in f class.

If I went down the road of f class what scope & bipod, barrel would make the weight with the AI

Funnily enough, Bill Wylde (best known for his 223 Wylde chamber reamer fame) won the first ever National F Class comp. in Canada with a 22-250.

You would be shooting in Open Class and the all-up weight is 10kg (22lbs) so, even with a decent bi-pod attached, you'd be in weight easily with the AI.

Try a few shoots - see if you like it. What area are you in?

If you have access to a private range, you have no problems with 22-250. If it's Bisley or an MoD owned facility, JSP whatever they are range certification rules prohibit anything with an MV exceeding 1,000 m/s (3,280 fps), that is the old 5.56mm M193 load with the 55gn FMJBT. This applies irrespective of bullet weight or muzzle energy.

If your 22-250 has the standard 1 in 14" twist rate, you'd be limited to 52/53gn match bullets and have to download the cartrtidge a huge amount, so much that this raises some potential safety issues. For this reason, the Sporting Rifle people who shoot the Running Deer at Bisley don't allow the .22-250 even with match / FMJ bullets and with claimed downloaded MVs.

Funnily enough, Bill Wylde (best known for his 223 Wylde chamber reamer fame) won the first ever National F Class comp. in Canada with a 22-250.

You would be shooting in Open Class and the all-up weight is 10kg (22lbs) so, even with a decent bi-pod attached, you'd be in weight easily with the AI.

In the process of joining the range in Tullamore in ireland, I will see how I like it then take things from there

In the process of joining the range in Tullamore in ireland, I will see how I like it then take things from there

If you have access to a private range, you have no problems with 22-250. If it's Bisley or an MoD owned facility, JSP whatever they are range certification rules prohibit anything with an MV exceeding 1,000 m

/s (3,280 fps), that is the old 5.56mm M193 load with the 55gn FMJBT. This applies irrespective of bullet weight or muzzle energy.

If your 22-250 has the standard 1 in 14" twist rate, you'd be limited to 52/53gn match bullets and have to download the cartrtidge a huge amount, so much that this raises some potential safety issues. For this reason, the Sporting Rifle people who shoot the Running Deer at Bisley don't allow the .22-250 even with match / FMJ bullets and with claimed downloaded MVs.

Laurie,

It's a 1 in 9 twist good with the 69grn smks might try some 75grn a max. At some stage I will go for a 308 just unsure which road to go down with the setup I have

Laurie,

It's a 1 in 9 twist good with the 69grn smks might try some 75grn a max. At some stage I will go for a 308 just unsure which road to go down with the setup I have

The 75 A-Max will work fine in that set-up and give you a start in F-Class.

Archived