Chronograph kaput??

foxyloxy

At the weekend I got a chance to put some 260 Ackley rounds over the chrono. Does this sound tooo fast to you?

140 grain Amax over 48 grains of reloader 19 out of a 22" LW barrel - 3040 FPS. Twice fired Remington brass & Federal primers - COL 2.800

Is the chrono correct & this load is too hot? These rounds came with the gun. Should I pull them & nip the fuel back a bit?

Surely it sounds fast for that length barrel. Its my mates chronograph & is relatively new.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks.

Hmmmm....that's 264 Win Mag performance from a 24 inch barrel,140g

or 300 fps more than 260Rem from 24 inch barrel,140g

...loaded by someone else...?

If it is 48g Rel 19 ( I'd pull one and check) someone will no doubt check this out.....you are right to wonder....what's it for??

gbal

Yep, from what I've read I thought it was a bit speedy for 22".

The lad I bought the gun off is as straight as they come & don't doubt his re-loading abilities either, but at the end of the day its my gun now.

Granted I got no flattened primers but the bolt was damn tight to pull back on a few cases.

Cheers folks.

Tight bolt - that is a fairly reliable symptom of high pressure.Primers can be,but any one

of the signs should be enough....as I asked,do you need this velocity (wear/recoil/risk)? No suggestion of careless reloading-just that some quite carefully and deliberately go into the red zone.....

g

No worries George.

No I've no real need for super dooper fast. Ill pull them and drop back a bit for safe keeping.

Thanks for your help again.

FL

OK-if you chrono the new loads,they should obviously be less,and close enough to the corresponding book data for that powder reduction-if so,the chrono is at least consistent...though this check doesn't 'prove' accurate,as it might be ,say 2% fast....or slow!

g

I shot 140gr vld in my 6.5 06, I used 48.5grs of rel 19 and got 2860fps, I think 50grs wad 2935fps, I am not familiar with tye 260ai but it sounds like its a very compressed load, the fastest test load was 142gr smk I had doing 2955fps, an n160 load, off the top of my head 50.2gr load, are you sure it wasnt a 129gr sst, thats 130 grainer speeds, they would do 3000fps in my 6.5 06.mine is 26 inch barrel

No Swaro, they're definitely 140 gr Amax mate.

I don't have access to Quickload, would that tell me what speed I should be getting? Like I say its only a 22" barrel - 1 in 8 twist.

As for being very compressed, yes there is some crunching but not so much that I'm having trouble seating the bullet.

ill maybe see about access to another chrono for comparison sakes.

Go on google, type in 260ai load data, go on that, it will take you on to an article from terry cross about his 260ai and his load data, your fps is well past his, regards swaro

In summary,here it is: 6.5-08 AI (virtually a 260 Rem AI),Surgeon ,26" Krieger.Tactical use a 1st shot hit,moa to 1000y game).

6.5-08 AI 140 @ 2935 drop/drift at 1000y 10 mph wind 300/60"

6.5-284 142 @3000 291/61

260 Rem 140 @2850 338/68

308 175 @2700 407/91

All barrels 24-26"

So 3040fps from 22" is looking rather hot,being up 100fps from Cross load ('safe' maximum,presumably-in a 26" Kreiger/Surgeon action).

Ackley offers less than 100fps over standard (there are other plus/minus points,of course).

The 260AI gets close to the benchmark 6.5-284,in an eassier mag feed more 'efficient' cartridge.

The 308 is outclassed ballistically (it has other plus and minus points).

There is a case for max safe fps in tactical/precision shooting (as well as good feed etc),in strong actions.

gbal

Glad I didn't buy it Mike, thanks.

Yep, foot of the gas big time.

Thanks again all.

I av a look if mine got 260ai ! --- Nope just 260rem and about 3-4 other 260 ! It lists allot of other ackleys ! Strange it ain't on there .

Archived