WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT 270 AI

nemasis243

270 wetherby magnum, 300 fps over std 270 with 130gr bullets, popular over the pond, cases available, etc

I have never felt the std 270 win to be lacking myself, but there is more if you want it. :D

Redfox

Personally, i think it would be an excellent cartridge but not as good as the 280 AI.

In the data section of P.O. Ackley's book, Volume No1 there is no data for 270 AI even though it is listed, he states that there was no point in over developing what is already a high intensity cartridge and his tests have shone that improving the 270 would have no benefit over the standard with the powders available.

With the modern slow powders at our disposal today i think it would be a viable cartridge probably giving 150-200fps more on velocity, however it is a very rare beast overshadowed by both the 25-06 AI and the 280 AI.

Ian.

PS. have you looked at the 270 WSM?

The 270 is mildly "over bore" as it stands. "Improving" it would be a costly wast of time. The standard 280 is a much better cartridge but I wouldn't "IMP" it either. It just works too well as it is!~Andrew

Thanks Andrew its nice to have a bit of import from over the pond :P , 270 idea was just something I had in my head, my mate has also said to me about rechamber for 6.5x284 which has really got me thinking :D .

I have also been offered today a Sako 264Mag. at cheap as chips money. :blink:

Think I am gonna have to buy another gun safe,again

Cheers Andy

Oddly enough, I like the 264 WM. A Model 70 with a 26" tube just passed through our trading post for a mere $625 with Leupold glass on board and it took all my will-power not to make a deal on it. Something about tossing those 140's out at near Mach III tickled me. I built two of them in 1984-85 on Remington Model 30 actions using Douglas AG blanks and they shot very well. The fellow who ordered them kept one and gave one to his brother. They didn't load very hot, from what I heard, and preferred to stay with just over starting loads. I heard that the brother used 160 grain RN bullets on elk. For the life of me I can't remember what twist they were. I believe it was 1-10". ~Andrew

The real advantage I can see with AIing the old 30-06 cases is it helps prevent cases stretching when you are loading them to the max’ with modern powders, the extra velocity you are gaining is only a secondary advantage IMO.

Best rgds

B-b

Guest wireviz

[bB Don't bother mate when i had my .270 the chap who taught me to home load had the same calibre he was and still is the best shot i have ever seen he could and did shoot the head off a rabbit at 500 yards and that was the morning after a ltr bottle of whisky ;) . He was asked about the merits of the ai and he said that the .270 would see no real benefit but did go on to suggest other calibres that might . Now i feel that if you have a lot of money the why not but if you want real performance from the rifle then spend the money on development. SO LIKE MOST HAVE SAID KEEP IT AS IS. :)

Guest wireviz

[tHE ONLY 280 I HAVE SEEN WAS RONIE ROSES ONE AND HE SAID IT DID EVERY THING A .270 WOULD DO AND MORE SO GOOD LUCK WITH IT DONT KNOW ABOUT THIS AI THING WAIST OF TIME IF YOU ASK ME ;)

[tHE ONLY 280 I HAVE SEEN WAS RONIE ROSES ONE AND HE SAID IT DID EVERY THING A .270 WOULD DO AND MORE SO GOOD LUCK WITH IT DONT KNOW ABOUT THIS AI THING WAIST OF TIME IF YOU ASK ME ;)

I was talking to one of Ronald’s relatives yesterday he mentioned the 280 Ronald had, his “Sika rifle”. You could be right about the AI but if you have to buy a reamer you might as well a buy a big one. :D

Best rgds

B-b

Reamers are pretty much the same price whatever size they are!

(sorry off topic)

Archived