best allrounder

with the new ACPO advive Im looking for a do all rifle a rifle I can use for fox and crows up to 300yds and still take it out for the occasional deer, so what to choose 243, 6mmBR some other calibre sporter or varmint.

Advice would be most welcome

Ian

Personally I love my 25-06 and thats the reason I went down that road (1 gun for all), I had a 243 and it did the job but felt I needed a slightly bigger calibre as a bit of ground I have has woodland stags on it and are found right on the boundry and I didnt fancy running about next door for a shot beast ( I wish I never got rid of my 308!!!). But then I suppose there are and will be different and perhaps better calibres in other peoples eyes and views. But 1 thing to bear in mind if its big enough for a deer it will certainely be big enough for a fox!! I can remember what another member said to me you dont get any change from dead!! I wish you all the best and hope you find what youre after.

The .243 will do the job for you no problem even on the biger deer if your shot placement is good.

I would say if you are shooting fox with the odd roe then 243 will be ideal for you but if you are regularly shooting the larger deer then go for the 25-06.

No doubt the next bit of advice will be the 6.5x55. They will all do the job!!

Dave

The more I use my 6mmBR the more I love it. Superb long range varminter,good foxing round and can be made deer legal easily.

The other plus side is long barrel life in comparison to the .243's.

Cheers

Dave

most of my deer will be shot with a 3006, I have a 308 ssg that is the dogs for range work, which is what it was bought for,but a little heavy to lug around the hill for a days stalking.

what I want is a 300+ yd flat shooting crow basher/ fox rifle that will take the odd roe

Hi tikka3006....

Going on what you have said ------------ what I want is a 300+ yd flat shooting crow basher/ fox rifle that will take the odd roe.....................

Another vote for the 6mm BR ( or the 6 PPC )..........- supremely accurate with that little extra oomph than the 6PPC!!!

If you want this to shoot flat you can go with a 1 in 12 twist and run 58 v-maxs at good velocity / accuracy - and run 80 -85 grainers for roe!!!!

Myself , i am running a 270 neck - 6mm PPC with a krieger 23 inch barrel , she loves the 58 v-max for long range varminting and i have shot roe and fallow using the Nosler 85 grain SP!!!!

You can read more in the varminting and deer section!!!!

Hope this has been some help!!!!!

All the best..................

RAY.................................. :rolleyes::blush:

If your just going to shoot the odd deer long cases such as the 2506 are gonna use a lot of powder when your just doing vermin :blush: ,

I have a 243 which I shoot a 58grn vmax out of with 43grns of vit140 , this is quite flat and will do 500 yards+ ,but I am having a 6mmBR done at the mo this will use about 30grns of powder with a 87grn head and it will get you right out there and also has a lot better accuracy :blush: .

I have had the pleasure of shooting my mates BR RPA and he has opened the door to another world of shooting for me (THANKS DAVE ,6MMBR) shooting bunnies over the 650 mark with ease :blush: .

I went through the phase of bigger the better and for 95% of UK varmint shooting I dont think you need it .

And lets face it shooting is heading the way of fuel its getting more expensive all the time :rolleyes: .

The only advice I can give you is if you fancy a calibre get it cuz if you get something else you will always have it in the back of your mind "I

should have bought that instead".

If you get the oppotunity have a go with some different cals and see what floats your boat.

25-06 = 53g of powder

6.5x47 = 40 grains of powder

22-250AI = 40 grains

6.5x284 = 48 grains

there really isnt much difference......

I have to concede that the 25-06 gets challenged beyond 500 (but that is only down to poor bullet choice and nothing else)

There are now Savage rifles available in that chambering. Or the other route is the custom one.

This is not as bad as it first appears. Buy an old action and have a new barrel fitted£400-600 job done a great shooter under a grand.

Cheers

Dave

You can get a ready built gun in 6mmBr but it aint going to be cheap,I went down the road of buying a donner action and am having a custom barrel put on and at the end of the day it will have cost me around 700,

If you pm Dasherman he will give you some great advice, find an action you like in a 308 boltface and go from there, I tend to like the old Tikkas as they have really slick actions not as sloppy as the Remy 700, the only thing is it is hard to find any after market bits and pieces,but the triggers can go down to around a llb and are nice and crisp.

Got to remember that no bullet defies gravity.

Zerod at 200 yds 75g V Max travelling at 3500 fps.

The 75g vmax BC is .29 (which frankly is very poor)

300 yds drop - 5.5 inches

400 yds drop - 16.5 inches

500 yds drop - 34.8 inches

Hope that helps

Ronin has pointed out reality, light bullets what ever cal lose velocity and energy quickly, heavier bullets hang on much longer and at long range retain more velocity and energy. All the cals mentioned will do the job, but on the basis of reasonable price and plenty of info to reload and most improtant retained value when you sell. The 243 win, 6.5x55, 270 win and 7mm all meet the criteria, after that 308win 25 06, 30 06 are all ok and in the running.

Redfox

must admit im in love with my 243ai at the mo

yet to shoot a group over 1/4 @ most in the mid high .1's very flat out to 300Plus 45.5g of vv150 seems to fit the bill for me!

will take deer if I ever find the need but its point & squirt to 300 on charlie & i was shooting 400yd plus bunnies with ease a few weeks ago but ran out of range:-(

cheers Andy

I would like to use my 308 ssg as a varmint rifle but I don't know if plod will accept this that is why i'm looking at rifles in the 6mm calibre range.

why does the 243 have a number of different rates of twist, is it as fussy with ammo as the 223

Not in my experience.

My Sako Varminter and Tikka T3 Hunter .243s are both 1 in 10 twist which is suited admirably to a bullet weight around 85 grains.

The Sako is a one-holer with 75gr V.Max and the Tikka shoots nearly as well with the same load but on a recent test with 100gr factory Prizi Partizan it shot a half-inch central group when sighted in to centre for the 75gr load.

Useful if I come upon a Roe when looking for a Crow !

If it was my intention to shoot heavy bullets all the time I would go for a more suitable twist such as 1 in 8 or 1 in 9.

Light bullets can be stabilised in a fast twist when sometimes a slow twist rifle will not perform well with the heavy projectile.

HWH.

Hi

I would go with the 6Br. It is inherently accurate. I have just had a remington action rebarreled in a 1/10 twist pac nor pre fit barrel and it shoots ragged little holes. This is the third pac nor barrel I have seen in 6Br which shoots very well. It will do vermin and the small deer. Cooper rifle in 6Br come with a 1/14 twist barrel. You will have pay extra if you want a faster twist.

dogfox

243 is a better all rounder and meets the legal requirements for roe deer.

Before any incoming, the energy is based on factory ammo not hot home loads, even though you can up the power with them.

Redfox

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Copperjacket

Hi there, although I am new here I would like to comment please: I have both a 22-250 and a 25-06. The 22-250 was originally bought for longer range vermin control however when I had the opportunity to shoot deer, I went through the same dilemma as you. I read everything, asked for advice and even shot both. From a practical point of view there is a much larger choice of ammunition for the .243 and it has a much more widespread choice and availability in factory loads so arguably the .243 may be the the more practical choice. At the end of the day my heart said 25-06 and I bought one. I have never regretted it and in fact like it so much that I use it for everything and almost never use the .22-250. There is no right or wrong answer to this question - do what you want to do.

Go for a 6br with an 8 twist.You can shoot 75vmax to 107 vlds.Is pretty flat out to 300 with the 75,s mine does 3300 easy and would probably do more but have never felt the need.Have to agree with other virtuous comments on here regarding the 6br and they dont cost a lot to run ie powder around 30g or so and longish barrel life too.Loads are easy to tune and the average shooter will probably be very happy with a load straight out of a book or suggested loads from the 6br site.Not got a ballistics comparison chart/charts handy but when mated with the right head I am pretty sure the little 6br matches anything a 308 will do bar energy of course.

I personally would look for a donor action and get a smith put on a premium barrel and chambered anyway you want but do listen to the smithy for best advice on chambering/barrel length etc etc.Best of luck.onehole.PS recommend Russell Gall of RG Rifles superb workmanship and advice.

Archived