Best rifle , scope and equipment for foxing , what would you choose?

SWShooter

So if you were kitting up from scratch for foxing what would you go for with a budget of around £4k?, extra kudos if you put a good package together for a lot less :)

What rifle / mod ?

What Scope or would you go NV?

What lamp / IR illuminator ?

Any other essential items? Ti?

Let us know why you've chosen these items.

Cheers.

So if you were kitting up from scratch for foxing what would you go for with a budget of around £4k?, extra kudos if you put a good package together for a lot less :)

What rifle / mod ?

What Scope or would you go NV?

What lamp / IR illuminator ?

Any other essential items? Ti?

Let us know why you've chosen these items.

Cheers.

From scratch I would go for a Kimber Montana in 204 with a Drone Pro / NM800 on top, Mod of your choice but something light weight in keeping with the rifle. Heavy rifles are for ranges and vehicles. The Drone is usable in the day and fabulous at night. Harris 9 - 13 swivel bipod and a set of decent sticks tripod or Quad.

I only know about rifles,but that is the easy,and probably cheap bit.Night foxes are shot generally within 200 yards,maybe a bit more.Vital zone is around 3 inches. Ergo, a rifle needs to be about 1-11/2 moa,and there are very few that do not meet that,and plenty that are sub 1moa,and sub 3/4 even 1/2 moa.

I'd prefer a magazine option,and if so a detachable box-for cab carry,mainly.Fairly light and short-if cab is to be used a fair bit. Can't see more than a few hundred rounds a year-300 is a fox every night except sabbaths,modal is probably a lot less.

I'd be looking for a tested ,used older Sako in 222,or 223 around £500-maybe including moderator.

As far as I can see-and that's not very far at night-foxing is improved with very good NV kit-and that is expensive,so money saved on other parts of the tool kit matters.I doubt though that there is anything better than a box mag 1/2 moa 222 older rifle (or similar functionality-BRNO Fox was aptly named! )No flash,no bling-just bags of quality where it matters. The rifle specs hold, 6PPC or 22/250 and a few other cartridges could be added.

Just to add,this is rationality led,I'm happy to invest more heavily where it might be indicated-competitive target shooting ...or cabinet queen. But a Ferrari is a singularly bad choice of family car.

g

I would spend on a Thermal spotter first (circa £2k) add to that a drone pro (circa £1500) then see what's left. No point having a great rifle if you can't see what you're shooting at. As has been said already most rifles will be accurate enough but a Tikka T3 would be a good start.

I would spend on a Thermal spotter first (circa £2k) add to that a drone pro (circa £1500) then see what's left. No point having a great rifle if you can't see what you're shooting at. As has been said already most rifles will be accurate enough but a Tikka T3 would be a good start.

There does seem to be a lot of foxers going for Ti , with Ti monoculars starting at the same money as Gen2 NV it does seem to be the way to go.

What i use

Tikka t3 lite in .22/250 jet-z mod (55grn v-max @ 3850fps (plenty second hand rifles about in foxing calibres, keep it fast and flat) £500-800 second hand)

Digi Sight + Doubler + T66 ir illuminator (£500-700 second hand) or new drone pro (£1700)

HD38s (£1900-2200 second hand)

Harris 12-27s bipod (£100 new)

Foxpro Scorpion/wildfire (£130-200 second hand)

This outfit serves me well as 99% of my foxing is on foot in the fells.

Blaser, what's one of those....

Archived