Primers too flat

MrCetrizine

Hi,

I've finally sorted a supersonic load for my .300 Blackout. However, now I've got it shooting how I want, I'm concerned about whether I've gone too far.

I'm only loading with 16.5gn of H110 behind a 125gn SMK which is below the stated maximum in every load data source I've seen.

Do these look bad to you guys who have more experience than my meagre two years of loading mostly .223 and cowboy .38sp

The partial ring that goes through the Hornady wording on the one on the left seems to be part of their headstamp, it's on new unfired cases too.

primers.jpg

The only obvious thing there is cratering round the firing pin but this could possibly just be excessive clearance round the pin. The edges are not pounded square right up to the primer pocket.

Was there any resistance to opening the bolt?

Hmmm,

Their QC has taken somewhat of a slating, so your bolt/firing pin hole could be shIIIte

I reckon it's pressure though as here's some pics of my .223 brass while load developing RS52 a while back

DSC03807_zpse115071d.jpg

DSC03806_zps32593986.jpg

DSC03805_zps1a76e8d2.jpg

I'll back off the load a bit just to be safe then.

I was told that NEA had pulled their socks up recently which is the second reason I decided to get it, the first being it was cheap and my budget got cut by unforeseen events.

I was also told they bought in their barrels and bolt groups and they were used widely in other rifles from other manufacturers.

Anyway what do you think?

bolthole.jpg

firingpin.jpg

MrC,that looks pretty good to me at 250y.

I'm not sure I have thought about the Blackout enough to understand it's niche,but I didn't expect such accuracy to be the main driver. Can you Whisper the rationale for it?

MInd you, with that sort of impressive performance,there doesn't need to be much else,on paper!

g

The main reason I got it was as simple as wanting something different. However, having something where I can go from shooting suppressed subsonics that my club's neighbours can't hear to supersonics that can smack steel plates at 400m with just a magazine change is great fun.

Blackout isn't the .223 replacement that many of its über fans claim by a long, long way but it's fun and cheap to run. 9.2 grains of powder, reclaimed .223 range pickup cases and cheap PPU bullets means I can plink all day without my wallet whimpering.

A friend of mine is about to approach his FLO about getting one for fox after hearing mine sounding like an air rifle while firing 220gn bullets.

Must admit the .300 whisper / blackout is interesting. Shooting foxes that are close to our hen shed (containing 8000 birds) makes me cringe every time.

An accurate, hard hitting sub sonic round out to 150 yards would be very useful. Are the components (powder for subsonics, dies, etc) readily available in the UK?

I was told that NEA had pulled their socks up recently which is the second reason I decided to get it, the first being it was cheap and my budget got cut by unforeseen events.

I was also told they bought in their barrels and bolt groups and they were used widely in other rifles from other manufacturers.

bolthole.jpg

firingpin.jpg

Is that firing pin hole chamfered?

bolthole.jpg

firingpin.jpg

Is that firing pin hole chamfered?

Yes, cases are easily made from .223, powder would be H110, Lil'Gun or N110 all of which are plentiful. I got my dies from Henry Krank.

I recently acquired a load of RP brass from the Fuzz and got given a few hundred Daniel Defense by Lapua (oops, I didn't say that) :lol:

Archived