UKBRA 1000 Yard Benchrest - Sunday 5th April 2015

mole-e30

Factory 6BR ammo-see post 18 here.

Lapua 90 and 105 moly/naked and Norma 105 LTB moly have been available,with Accurate Shooter site very impressed with it.The fuller guide is Accurate Shooter "Factory loaded 6BR ammo'.

Norma (Black) Diamond especially isn't cheap.But World and European records have been set with it in 300 and 600 yard shooting.

10 shots in .42 at 300metres. Lapua similar. Both are Premium grade ammo

It's possible the commercial ammo specs have been improved,even.

This in pure accuracy competitions,where the 6BR's other advantage-light recoil ,enabling fast gun handling to shoot through a steady wind,is less critical-it becomes a longer (much longer) reach PPC.

It can of course be hand loaded to give equivalent performance,even a bit better in some some rifles-

as we've seen on here,and will again. The competition performances remain impressive.

g

No-probs,Gary-I've just added a little :(and the US reference)

(.42 for ten shots at 300 metres-not shabby at all.)

I kind of rushed through it to avoid causing undue salivation,especially as I didn't have the current price-I'm saving up for three rounds.Thankfully it is so good,for once,five isn't needed. :-)

g

Well going by your hit percentage at 1000yds me putting 9 or 10 of my 20 shots inside a 1 foot circle prone shooring is pretty decent then, most ive seen on a club day was 14, was done with a 6mm br and a 260 ack, these are timed details,4 shots in 60 secs, then 50, then 40,30 and 20 seconds, we dont have the option to stop ahd wait for the wind to ease, just gotta bang them off

Swaro,yes it is.The 12 inch is closest to 10inch,for which the 'good " conditions etc % are at 1000y,65 % for 15 inch and and 36%,for 10 inch,so somewhere just under 50% on 12 inch would be par for this course.

Which is just what you achieved (though your rifle/ammo may not be 308/175 etc,nor other conditions quite the same,and all the variables have some effect,though by no means equally.

The % hits are over longish runs of shots (100),so 'three out of three' don't discredit,and will probably be brought back to reality by a ' zero out of three' and "one out of three" etc.

So 'my rifle can hit gongs at 800y, all day long ,no problems' be seen for the vague economy with the truth that it usually is (not always,but even an IPSC target -humanoid head/body,29x18 inches -barely keeps to 99%)

The data also make the case for 5 rather than 3 shot groups,and 10 might not be excessive-lets "optimise" at 5x3 shots or 3x5shots,as distance increases.

g

yep on short siberia a group under .3 was a welcome guest with several in the .5 and bigger

I shot my 6.5 06 about 9.30am after zeroing and my 4 siters told me my poi had changed 1.3 mils average, I shot a great elevation but must have been 18 inches between them, I zeroed my 308 maybe one hour after my 6,5 06 and wind was getting etronger and stronger, I increased my elevation by 3 moa as i was zeroing where wind was pushing the 168gr amax down, when I put my 4 siters down range they were bang on in the middle of the target I aimed at, was expecting to adjust from the 15 moa I had already had dialed in, I managed a decent cof through the miraging, highest score of the morning which was good, I had too many on the backer first go.wind caught me out most details grrrrs.i had 3 shots blown off the edge of backer ?

Swaro,sounds like a lot of fun.

Glad I included just a taste of the 'poor conditions' hit %,which might have reduced any surprise effects-though your wind conditions especially seem much more extreme.....some 168 bullets are not among the best 1000 y 308 choices,tending to transonic by 800y,and that doesn't help....

g

Archived