Well the boy's starting out good (I hope)

MarinePMI

All,

Just a random post to eat up electrons and express my happiness I suppose.

My oldest turned sixteen this past Wednesday and when asked waht he wanted, he excitedly replied "You know Dad, I'd really like a deer rifle!". It seems his step dad just got a deer rifle, and my son is wanting to upgrade from his CZ .22 to something that'll more in line with taking down whitetail deer. Needless to say, one phone call and $750 later, and a Tikka T-3 Hunter in 6.5x55mm is on the way to me to set up. Sure hope it shoots well, and my son enjoys it...

They grow up so fast... :D

Seems like yesterday that he was completely besides himself when he got the .22 for his 10th birthday (which took quite a bit of convincing wrt his mother).

Perhaps it's just fatherly pride, but the boy can shoot. Year before last I had him and his sister flown out to my parents in Texas for Christmas, which always involves a family shoot of some sort. My Dad was playing "clean up" on the clays range with my son shooting a .410 SS shotgun. My dad got to fire his shotgun once out of 25 clays. LOL! My Dad just shook his head as he smiled and cleared in gun.."Yeah, the apple didn't fall too far from the tree on that one. He sure shoots like his Dad." I must admit, I was very proud of him. His sister isn't any slouch either when it comes to handgun. She was plinking with a .22 pistol, hitting empty shotgun hulls at 25yds...

Yep, they sure grow up fast... :D

Ive just returned from a friends place, it was his six year olds birthday yesterday, he recieved a .410 as a present. The little chap is over the moon.

My own son is a bit too young at the moment, but rest assured, when he is able, he will have access to his first rimfire pretty soon, looking forward to that.

You better watch your reputation Marine looks like the youngsters are gona take over from the oldman very soon :D , I can still remember the first gun my Father bought me ,its one of those things you never forget, :D

And with your daughter shooting as well , thats also great, overhere in the UK a lot of women shy away from the sport , but it maybe for the fact that overhere shooting is frowned upon by so many people that aint got a f***** clue wat its about. :D

I know over in the States they have family shooting competions , must be great to be able to compete with your young ones, must be a real proud feeling, ;)

Hope they keep up the good work cheers Andy. :P

I dont have a son but my 9yr old nephew is filling the boots so to speak! He has an air rifle and regulary comes with me when I bash paper. I also bought the wee man 1 of those swinging targets thingies which he smacks with the 22 all day long. Ive also a 410 for him but he is a bit small yet for it. I must call him when I load he is fantastic with the scales and always gets me to double check the weight. Last week we took him to his 1st game fair and the little sod had a ball, he handled a harris, bought his 1st fly box and flies and he has only been out coarse fishing once. its great to see youngsters so enthusiastic about our sport, long will we encourage and nurture our sport needs the seeds sown young. Oh and I should add that he is very aware of saftey and always asks for the chamber to be checked before he takes or hands a weapon over!

P2290021.jpg

11052008013.jpg

Thanks guys!

Appreciate all the comments and encouragement. It's also great to hear that in the UK fathers and uncles take the same pride in seeing the youth latch on to a sport and lifestyle so quickly fading away. I'll have to post some picks when I get a chance...

John, where was that game fair? I remember attending one back in '02. IIRC it was at "Sandringham Fair"(sp?). It was quite fun. I had a friend/co-worker (RAF Officer) who had a chocolate labrador and was keen on game fairs and gun dog trials. Took me by surprise actually, as I had no idea that sort of thing existed in the UK...

Cheers!

Archived