Short barrel ar15 .22lr

hunter87

• 2 weeks later...

H87

Why the short barrel (also asking what is 'short'?).

I have an 18" barreled BAR15 in 22rf which shoots well, the barrel length is to clone the .223/5.56 of tbe same make.

T

I want something different I am thinking along the lines of a 12 inch barrel on a dedicated ar15 platform and adding a moderator. my idea of a short barrel is 12 inches my sako p942 has a 15 inch barrel

I had a play with the 12 inch Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 from Suffolk Rifles at the British Shooting Show. It was certainly handy, but my natural grip was very close to the muzzle, which I have to say would make me rather nervous. I suppose that you could make yourself feel a bit more comfortable by using some form of hand stop or fore grip and of course a moderator would help a bit too.

Looks good but from what I have seen online they seem to be a pain to clean

How many people clean .22lr`s ? , what appealed to me is its compact so easy to use out of the cab window plus its got a quad rail so easy to mount NV and IR ,all metal receiver as well unlike to plastic S&W.

How many people clean .22lr`s ? , what appealed to me is its compact so easy to use out of the cab window plus its got a quad rail so easy to mount NV and IR ,all metal receiver as well unlike to plastic S&W.

But it is 'monkey metal', aka metal injection moulding. Nothing wrong with that per se, but don't assume that a Umarex is the same as a high quality forging on a real AR15. They are also a pain to strip and clean, unlike the S&W which is a doddle. All .22s semis get filthy and clag up eventually, so this is an important consideration.

Talk to mini rifle shooters, who put a lot of rounds down range and they will all tell you that the S&W rifles are much more reliable than the Umarex guns. .22 conversions of real AR15s are also very nice, but are much more expensive than a 15-22 and need 'fettling' in order to run reliably.

People who shoot alot of rounds! .22lr is a dirty round

Archived