Best varminting scopes?

Hi all,

Just wanted to pick everybody's brains. I have got a new 223 for foxing and some long range crow and rabbit 'bashing'. I have a couple of the old nightforce's but one is staying on the 243 and the other is only up to 12 times so its not powerful enough for the job. Therefore, I am in the market for something with some decent mag because carrions look mighty small at 300+. I have compiled a short list of what I could choose from but I can't afford to buy new so its second hand or from the US. I have looked through a couple of scopes a NXS 5.5-22x56 and most of the high mag swarovski's that proudly belong to creakindoor of here, they were all brilliant but I seem to be leaning towards a Swaro 6-24x50. However, I'm would be very interested to hear about the quality of the Mark 4, Kahles and the IOR scopes below and what the light gathering is like and the build quality. I haven't put the PM11 in because even if second hand and completely broken i couldn't afford one! So here goes:

Kahles K418 4.5 - 18 x 50

Swarovski PV 6 -24 x 50

Zeiss Victory Diavari 6 - 24 x 56

NXS 5.5 - 22 x 56

S+B Vari 4 - 16 x 50

IOR Valada 6 - 24 x 50

Leupold Mark 4 6.5 - 20 x 50

So if people could voice there views for or against any of the scopes, also you could include some other options if you want. I have around £600 to spend so if anybody has a spare something sitting in the cupboard could you let me know.

Many thanks lads

NF

I would add the nikon monarch X 4-16x50, nice turrets clear optics.

No idea how durable they are though.

Had the S&B before, great glass.

Look through IOR before, great glass but a heavy scope.

Had the Kahles in my hands before, it looked nice

edi

Hey NF, how you doing boy :D

Don't discount the Loopy Mk4 LR/T 4.5-14x50 500+yrd shots are a piece of piss, I just got hold of a Mildot Master to play with it and the ranging looks accurate. Also the Bushy 4200 has been quoted as a reasonable choice, I looked at it on the net and for a crow basher on a light rifle I'd be happy enough to fit one.

Regards.

Ratwhiskers.

Hi NF.

Like `creakingdoor` I too have a Swarvoski PV 6-24x50 on a .243 Sako Varminter.

It is an excellent piece of kit.

Recently I bought a Tikka T3 Hunter .243 which is much easier on my old shoulders when I poke it out of the motor window and I got a new Besonder 8-32x50 scope off E.Bay for about £83 post paid.

[This scope has a Milldot reticule.]

For the relatively small capital outlay this scope is a miracle and makes Carrion Crows look like Turkeys.

The side parallax adjustment is very useful too, as yet I have not used the illuminated reticule.

HWH.

T3rabbit003.jpg

I have a Swaro PVS 6x24x50 and find it a pretty decent bit of kit but there are areas that it can be improved.

If your shooting at night a lot I could not recommend a Luepold, the reticule vanishes once the light gets marginal as in the edge of a lamp beam, Swaro is not bad by any means, about the same as Nightforce but my Ziess Diavari C beats the lot. Last night I shot a rabbit with it a good 15 yards from the lamp beam.

The range of adjustements is not as big with the PVS compared to most NSX'S but I seem to recall it is a few ozs lighter.

For what I think you have in mind I would recommend target turrets, then range and dial, that will remove some of your shortlist. Getting scopes out of the states is tricky now, an export license is needed for most and that was expensive in itself so you will probably be limited to used UK supply I expect. McClouds are worth keeping an eye on, I see there is a Swaro there at present to your spec but without target turrets.

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/index2.htm

Bearing in mind the budget you may have to come back to a Luepold VX3 or a used LRT but I really cannot see much improvement between that and the old Nightforce you are looking to out. I would have thought that a 12X NF should be good for a .223, how far are you planning to go out with it ?. I was shooting a steel plate the other week at over 700 yards with my PVS set at 8X, it worked OK.

If that NF is a fixed power it should sell easily here.

A

I have no experience with Swarvoski scopes, so I can't comment.

However we were doing some long range shooting last weekend and when the light started to fade the Nightforce NXS knocked spots off a Leupold Mk4. I could still pick out bunnies with the nightforce but nothing with the Leupy.

Just my pennies worth.

Cheers

Dave

I use a Loopy VXL 6.5 - 20 x 56mm on my .223 with a Vamint Hunter Ret. and we were shooting out to 450yrds yesterday with no worries and rabbits were clear as anything, no probs at dusk either - i used to own a 3-12x50 swaro before this one and i honestly can't tell the differance between the 2 at low light.

Thanks for all the reply's lads!

I'm going to shoot 50-55gr heads and push the rifle as far as it will go so hopefully up to 350yds and a little further on very still days.

I'll be using it for mostly lamping and sitting out at dawn and dusk, so it needs to be excellent in low light but have enough mag for those long shots in th day. The nightforce I'm going to sell is a 3-12x56 and I am keeping the 2.5-10x50 on the 243 because I'm working on the reds through the summer until next spring in Scotland and it's a little lighter.

I have a look at all the scopes everybody has mentioned, I had seen that they do VXL in 6.5-20x56 which thought was interesting. Anybody got views on a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50, just as a cheaper option?

Many thanks

NF

Read your post Nutty,you mention you are struggling with your side focus???should be no probs there.Have you made sure you have focused the reticule to your eyes using the ocular adjustment first??Sounds daft I know but surprising how many guys at our local club had not done this with their own scopes.Regards Onehole.

Anybody got views on a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50, just as a cheaper option?

I just ordered one. After using a conquest 4.5-14x44 on a .243 + .17hmr for sometime. The side parralax is great on the conquest and is why I don't want a swarovski. I will compare soon (1 week delivery hopefully) to my Zeiss 8x56.

US$ 902 + whatever vat/customs = £570-£600 odd.

I've gone for No.4 reticule + target turrets. My 4.5-14 has the z-plex and I used to loose the crosshairs in the lamp.

Cheers Andy

Guest sniper#1

Hi lads,

got the loopy 4.5-14 x 50 no me 17hmr nice and light fantastic optics nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 mil dot ilu.on me .243 me favorite piece of kit downside the price and wieght. nightfore 8-32 x 56 np2 ilu. on me sendero 7mm mag amazing piece of kit.

used swarovski,zeiss,schmitt and find it difficult to to find any big difference in build quality and optics.All depends on what your putting it on ,mounts used and how much you really want to stretch to.

good luck on finding something second hand mate Shakey

Read your post Nutty,you mention you are struggling with your side focus???should be no probs there.Have you made sure you have focused the reticule to your eyes using the ocular adjustment first??Sounds daft I know but surprising how many guys at our local club had not done this with their own scopes.Regards Onehole.

Cheers Onehole I was refering to getting used to the paralex in relation to the distance, as stated it dont have the distance marked on it. I was never sure if I had it set for the appropriate range and I have not really used an adjustable paralex before so was unsure regards its setting affecting POI. The manual states that whilst setting the paralex the user should move their head until set. It does take a bit getting used to but Im getting there with it. The reticle has been set for my eye so no probs there.

Nutty if you have your reticule in focus then all you gotta do is just use the parallax knob to bring your target into focus against your focused reticule and thats it job done and any error in poi due to parallax error should have been adjusted out.Sure I am right here unless I have got it wrong over the last 20 odd years or so???Cheers Onehole.

My Leupy has a fine varminters reticule that disappears at dusk in which case i switch to a Simmons 6.5 - 20 x 50 whitetail classic. I dont find the obj parallax adj a bind at all. If anything it's more tollerant of distance/focus than the leupy.. The light gathering is on a par with the leupy too..

I have an S&B 4-16 with the Varmint reticle, not done much with it yet but top class light gathering and no chance of a bunny hiding behind an overly thick reticle.

Also an old faithful is the Leupy VX3 6.5-20x40 EFR, yes can be hard work winding the AO for what can seem an eternity but guaranteed pin sharp image.

Cheers

Simon

Let me throw another option into your list, the Light Stream 5-20x50 http://www.light-stream.co.uk/spec2.htm

Myself and a friend had a look through one last year and put it up against a Swarovski 4-12x50 A-line and a Nightforce 5.5-22x56, to keep it fair we could only use the scopes on the same power as the Swaro.

My conclusion was the Swaro was the better glass with the Light Stream second and the NF third!

My friends conclusion was the Light Stream was equal to the Swaro and the NF lagging behind, but I guess it's all subject to the individual eye.

I have just bought a Light Stream for a friend, when it arrives I hope to give it a field test against the NF at top end magnification.

The Khales really interests me but the price looks heavy. I have said it before and I will say it again, Swarovski get your act together and make a scope with side parallax and target turrets ( I have heard that the the Z6 will be made with side parallax)

Personally from your list I would choose the Zeiss Diavari 6-24x56.

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have eventually managed to get my grubby mitts on a Swarovski PV-S 6-24x50 with target turrets and duplex reticle!

Can't wait to see a crow blink at 300 just before you pull the trigger. ;);)

I'll post a pic when eventually get my DM80 (4.5 weeks for far) :rolleyes: and the remington in the new stock with tactical mounts and of course the Swarovski!!!!

Regards

NF

Nutty if you have your reticule in focus then all you gotta do is just use the parallax knob to bring your target into focus against your focused reticule and thats it job done and any error in poi due to parallax error should have been adjusted out.Sure I am right here unless I have got it wrong over the last 20 odd years or so???Cheers Onehole.

my dear mr onehole,

i hope and mrs onehole are bothe "chipper" just got hold of a loopvx111 6.5 20x40 eraly one in the gloss compleste with gloss sunshade ,hight turrets ,almost mint AWSOME!!!! goint to stick it on my 223 so i can see the buggers!!!!!!!!!!!!! hope your son is doing ok?

milpool

Archived