Case prep confusion

Otisthedog

Hi folks,

As a novice reloader, I'd be very grateful for your advice...and hopefully confirmation that I'm going about things correctly!

I have recently bought a used .260 and with it came a load of brass (243 sized to 260) and .260 dies.

As the brass had been fired 4-5 times and was new to me, I had it annealed, and set about FL sizing it all. Theory being to restart load development from scratch. Afterwards, when trimming, I binned any cases way under or way over length, so am left with cases trimmed to guide length of 2.025" +/-3thou approx.

I am using a Lee .260 length gauge and lock stud/cutter.

I then took some of my once fired 243 norma brass and ran it through the FL sizer to turn it into .260 brass. I cannot fit the Lee pilot of the length gauge in the case necks - very, very tight! Why is this as the cases have been run through the same die as the previous lot? Probably some glaring newbie error.

Sorry for the long-winded question...

Thicker case necks maybe?

Why mess with 4-5 times fired .243 brass when you can buy new lapua?

Thought I'd see how I get on with these first John, before shelling out on new brass. Plus I would like to be able to resize my once fired 243 brass to 260.

Confused as how the same expander in the same die can give me two different internal neck diameters?

Despite an agressive cut when neck turning (well it looked like I cut a way into the shoulder) I've got donuts appear in 243-> 260 brass.

I'll end up using those for 95gn v max and swap to using Lapua .260 cases for the 140s.

I'd agree with John, not worth the hassle when there is such quality brass available

Despite an agressive cut when neck turning (well it looked like I cut a way into the shoulder) I've got donuts appear in 243-> 260 brass.

I'll end up using those for 95gn v max and swap to using Lapua .260 cases for the 140s.

I'd agree with John, not worth the hassle when there is such quality brass available

Despite the fact I can't see a visible donut, that may be the cause then?

So once fire formed, these should be ok?

Will most likely buy .260 Lapua brass in the near future. Thanks for the advice.

I got about 75 x 308 cases (S&B and PPU) which had been re-formed into 260Rem with a rifle I bought, quite a few had split necks after firing, mainly the S&B

I bought 100 new Remington 260 cases off eGun for under £60, they'll do me until the next trip to the US when I can stock up on Lapua at a good price :)

Archived